Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello People, I was wondering. Can you put a Dimmer switch in line to a receptacle. Then plug a non variable speed router in that receptacle and use the dimmer as a speed controller. I was kicking this idea back and forth and thought why not put it on the forum.
Keep making sawdust
Lance.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts
Charger1966 said:
Hello People, I was wondering. Can you put a Dimmer switch in line to a receptacle. Then plug a non variable speed router in that receptacle and use the dimmer as a speed controller. I was kicking this idea back and forth and thought why not put it on the forum.
Keep making sawdust
Lance.
Hi Lance:

The usual dimmer module that is sold in stores for use with house lighting is usually rate something like 300 Watts incandescent load. 300 Watts at 120 Volts is only 2-1/2 amps. Most, if not all, routers are well beyond the 2-1/2 amps rating. As indicated by Bob, you will need a module that is rated for higher currents.

Cassie
(electrical engineer)

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Exactly to the point Cassie. Which brings up the fact that 3+ HP routers may or may not need a larger speed controller than the HF unit which is rated at 15 amps.(This is because manufacturers take liberties with their ratings) There are 20 amp speed controllers available but they do cost quite a bit more. Always go by the rating tag on your router.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Like vacuums router hp is peak hp. Namely, the manufacturer has put the router on a bench dynometer & then has applied load until that router is screeching & smoking to get the peak hp rating. You will notice that most routers come with a 15amp cord, & if you have never blown a circuit breaker then you have come nowhere near the peak hp claimed by the manufacturer. By contrast induction motors are rated for continuous hp. Namely it will deliver the stated hp running all day long.

Lee

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Lane,
I have a fixed speed router, a Makita 3600B, which runs at 22,000 rpm.
I want to use a lock mitre cutter at a recommended speed of 16,000 rpm
I realise it is two years ago since your post re a Rockler speed contoller. Have you any experience of otaining one in UK?
Regards, Ian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.