Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a porter cable 892 Router and am having an issue with the clamp which holds the motor to the base. It has what looks like an adjustment screw which can be adjusted with the clamp in the open position but the manual does not discuss adjusting it. I am presently having an issue with the bit moving down when cutting dovetail joints on my jig. Either the bit is drifting out of the collet or the motor assembly is drifting down when the joint is being cut. VERY FRUSTRATING.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All set now. After checking everything out it was the 1/4" dovetail bit sliding out of the collet. This is a new PC Router and the collet clamping assembly was lubricated for protection in shipment or storage. No wonder it was slipping. The bit's cutting angle actually generates a force that helped pull it out ever so slightly, although way to much when cutting dovetail joints! I cleaned the bit and collet and that seems to have solved my issue. Challenge met I'm making good dovetails on my drawer boxes now.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,962 Posts
If you're having problems with slipping collets, it could be due to inserting the bit too far. If the bit bottoms out, then the collet can't pull in and get a good bite on it. make sure there is at least a 1/8" clearance.

Also, check your collets if it keeps happening. Collets do fail after time. Good news is they are cheap and readily available.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Use brake cleaner to clean collet. Collet should be dry. I bought two 1/4 inch thick router wrenches on ebay. I get collet tight with bigger wrenches. I have seen discussions that pc is going to quit making routers. Black and Decker owns pc and are consolidating thier products. Hope it is not true.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.