Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a Triton router a few years ago by my son. I have used it very little but recently have been investigating the possibility of fitting it to a dedicated table. I have searched the internet and have noted that some of the Triton models can have their height adjusted from above. Mine doesn’t seem to have this facility. Even the Triton website isn’t clear which model has this adaptation and which doesn’t. Can anyone tell me which models are so equipped?
Many thanks
LyntonP

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Welcome aboard.
What model do you have? That info would help get answers to your question.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I was given a Triton router a few years ago by my son. I have used it very little but recently have been investigating the possibility of fitting it to a dedicated table. I have searched the internet and have noted that some of the Triton models can have their height adjusted from above. Mine doesn’t seem to have this facility. Even the Triton website isn’t clear which model has this adaptation and which doesn’t. Can anyone tell me which models are so equipped?
Many thanks
LyntonP
Welcome to the forum, Lynton, these Tritons seem to have that feature.
Triton Routers TRA001, MOF001, JOF001

Herb

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm sure you'll get responses from people much more knowlegable on the subject than I am, but the obvious first question is to ask which model your Triton router is. Mine is the TRA001, which is specifically designed to be mounted in a table although theoretically at least, it could be used as a hand router despite its size and weight. I fitted mine to a Triton saw table, for which I purchased a router conversion kit (the table itself is quite basic and came with a cheap (but quite good) saw mounted in it). With the TRA001 fitted, I find it very easy to adjust the height without any special accoutrements. After doing it a couple of times I found I could simply reach under the table to release the lock, raise and fine tune without needing to crouch down and look under the table.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had another look at the Triton this morning on the box it came in it states that it is a TRA001. However the identification plate on the router states it is a TRB001. It came with a baseplate and fence, a 1/2 to 1/4 adaptor collet, one rebate bit, a brief instruction manual, and nothing else. No cutter change spanner or anything else that it should have had. I suspect that it was an end of season sale or clearance item from the DIY supplier that my son used to work for. The machine itself was brand new when it was given to me. I have also done some more digging on the internet about using it attached to a table, again with conflicting information. Triton suggest using a two piece attachment plate while some other examples show it being fastened to the table in several different ways. Confusion reigns!

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
The early Tritons did NOT have above table height adjustment.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Lynton,
I have recently bought the TRA 001 with height adjuster, which in the table mounted position, means removing the long spring that is used for the hand held 'plunge' operation and not needed when upside down.

The plate that the router is mounted in then needs a hole for the 'winder' to fit through and over the 'turner' that adjusts the height. I have the Kreg plate, which came pre-drilled for the winder to fit through, but many plates don't have the pre-drilled holes.

You do need to establish if your model can use a winder, which should have come with it. How old is it, as the system has been around for a while?
I have mounted mine in an old kitchen table I had and made a fence. Works well enough and much less cost.

Malcolm
Birmingham

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Malcolm. Definitely no adjustment from above the table with my machine. I will investigate the Kreg plate. Looking at as many ideas I can to see what I need to construct this project. Thanks for the help.
Lynton

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
Table mounted routers are generally much safet to use. The big Tritons are just too heavy for me to use freehand. You definitely need to check in with Triton on the model to see if it uses, and you can order, the winder. I'd also suggest you look up the Triton on YouTube. There's lots of videos of it in use. I have the TRA001 mounted in my dedicated router table. Many routers are capable of being table mounted, but some work out better than others. Check Triton's website and email them with questions. They are a serious company with good customer service. If you can find the serial number, that may help them identify the age. Personally, I really like my Triton.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts