Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guy's & Gal's,

I have recently retired and wish to start using my router that was purchased around 1985-90 + -, Its a Black & Decker model #7614 Type-1 and was used for about 15 minutes then stored after its purchase. Will this unit suffice for most home use's? One project I wish to start is completing an older black powder rifle kit that lost its fore stock in a home move years ago. I bought a piece of dark walnut 20' long that I will route out to match the body and hold the hexagonal barrel. That and a few other small projects. I have a few router bits for the 1/4" shank router. I was a busy guy with little free time from my two jobs and raising kids.

I did fire it up a week ago and thought it a bit noisy, but I am assuming that high pitch whine is normal. It was packed away in a stored box with the table top base and the various parts. I have dis-assembled the unit to check that there were no parts missing and thoroughly vacuumed it out. I do have a tiny shop filled with decent machines and tools ready to do my bidding. So I would appreciate any input that can be provided by folks familiar with the model and that process!

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
welcome Rick...
what you say may be a scream or it may be fine...
kinda hard to interpret w/ words... but never assume anything..
there is a chance that the bearing lube may have dried up or leaked out...
20 feet of walnut eh...

your router is light duty so don't push.. and it will do what you want...
someday you may want to consider adding a Bosch 1617EVS-PK to the line up...
do you and your router a big favor and hog away as much material as you can before you router...

up coming are some PDF's that may help you.. please read them...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
here ya go Rick...

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
some more...

Attachments

·
Registered
21,703 Posts
Routers run in the 20,000 plus RPM range. The whine is pretty normal. Carving that kind of shape with 1/4 inch shank bits is a serious safety issue, and will certainly be dangerous, novice or not. The bit can bite in and jerk the entire router our of your grip...a flying router is not your friend. Be verycareful and keep a good grip on that thing if you choose to try it.

Consider using other tools to cut a rough shape, then a spokeshave to bring it close to final fit, then sandpaper in finer grades or scrapers. That's probably how the original part was made. It's much safer and will go fairly quickly with much less danger. A decent spokeshave is pretty reasonable, about $20 for a Grizzly. https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H806...TF8&qid=1524327274&sr=8-4&keywords=spokeshave

Welcome to the Forum, BTW, this is a great place to learn. Ask lots of questions, we love to pipe up with answers. Great hobby too.

I see Stick has jumped in with his PDF collection. A LOT of great information in there.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
this should do it...

Attachments

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Welcome to the forum Rick. Good name by the way ;)

Updating your profile is always nice . Maybe a location and a list of tools you have access to ,as it may help the members here if you have future questions on a project .
Looking forward to seeing your projects, as we all like pictures here :)

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Carving that kind of shape with 1/4 inch shank bits is a serious safety issue, and will certainly be dangerous, novice or not. The bit can bite in and jerk the entire router our of your grip...a flying router is not your friend. Be verycareful and keep a good grip on that thing if you choose to try it.

Consider using other tools to cut a rough shape, then a spokeshave to bring it close to final fit, then sandpaper in finer grades or scrapers. That's probably how the original part was made. It's much safer and will go fairly quickly with much less danger. A decent spokeshave is pretty reasonable, about $20 for a Grizzly. https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H806...TF8&qid=1524327274&sr=8-4&keywords=spokeshave
Yeah, all my routers are 1/4" shank, I have a lot of experience using them, but if I tried something like that is would be very shallow cuts, very slow. And, in truth, would likely not do it, even tho I am sure I could. I go along with Tom, I'd mark it out, then use chisels and/or scrapers to gouge out the wood, then when I get close, likely wrap sandpaper around the barrel and sand to a final fit.

I got a spokeshave off of evilbay a little back, $4.41, and free shipping. Actually looks fairly decent. And, for the little I will be using it for, should should work out well enough. https://www.ebay.com/itm/44mm-Metal...506656&hash=item1c9f376066:g:f7cAAOSwhcNaaC5h

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Rick and welcome. Those B and D routers were pretty noisy but what Stick said about the bearing is correct. Over that period of time it could have hardened. If that lower bearing seems to be getting hot you should replace it before it does damage.

Reactions: DesertRatTom

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Chuck, I will have somebody with a tad bit more knowledge than I (almost everyone) look & listen to my oldish router to make sure its OK or needs work. Considering repair costs today, if needed, we might need to graduate up to Stick's suggestion of a new Bosch?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the welcome Richard.

Considering my minimal abilities with either the router OR the computer, I am being challenged by my almost total lack of knowledge in getting all the overwhelming amount of info back to my email, but it is wonderful stuff. The words of wisdom are cherished.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the welcome "Rick"! Great commercials, by the way, you used to look younger, but didn't we all. I did add my info on my shop equipment, although in viewing a few others lists, I wasn't as detailed. Not sure if that will hinder advice or not. Considering the age and low grade of my equipment, probably not.

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Thanks for the welcome "Rick"! Great commercials, by the way, you used to look younger, but didn't we all. I did add my info on my shop equipment, although in viewing a few others lists, I wasn't as detailed. Not sure if that will hinder advice or not. Considering the age and low grade of my equipment, probably not.
Hey it’s all good,and it’s great to have a little information. In the past we’ve had members wanting advice on building a project, but the experts didn’t know if they had the right tools if any to complete the task.
Knowing where you are in the world is always a bonus to . A few members were inquiring about CNC router tables, and without knowing which country they lived in , it can limit there options .

Thank you for updating your profile . This is a really friendly forum with very helpful members . I’m sure you’ll fit right in :smile:

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: RainMan 2.0

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Thanks for the welcome Richard.

Considering my minimal abilities with either the router OR the computer, I am being challenged by my almost total lack of knowledge in getting all the overwhelming amount of info back to my email, but it is wonderful stuff. The words of wisdom are cherished.
why email???
why not save directly to your computer's documents file...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Thanks Chuck, I will have somebody with a tad bit more knowledge than I (almost everyone) look & listen to my oldish router to make sure its OK or needs work. Considering repair costs today, if needed, we might need to graduate up to Stick's suggestion of a new Bosch?
change your own bearings...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.