Router Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a good reasonable priced bench drill, the one I have has given up, the chuck and return spring refuse to operate. I also have loads of morse taper bits that I can only use on my Myford Lathe . Perhaps I maybe find one with a morse taper ?

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Depends on how much you use it, really. I've had my Delta for years, and it's been great. And this thing was literally thrown from it's bench when I was driving Beastie (my mobile workshop) to his destination Before I got smart and had it bolted down lol

·
Registered
434 Posts
I just had this same discussion with my oldest son, whom is now into woodworking. Forget about the cheap-end drills as these are usually 2 bearing units with no way to align them types. Since you also have a metal lathe your bit spread is probably 1/32" to 5/8". The consumer mid-range drill will normally have a MT2 internal taper with 4 bearings in the head assembly and a MT2 TO JT3 OR 33 for the chuck. Some British models will have a MT2 to 5/8"x16 for the chuck. For a decent quality unit to be used on both metal and wood with a 3 to 4" stroke and 1hp motor expect to pay 600+ US dollars, used is a good possibility and I have even seen Clausings go for under 500.00 -used, at auction. Jet, Powermatic, Delta all have residential and Pro lines over here and I am assuming the same is true for you. I have a 17" Jet from the Pro-metal line and it was about 900.00$ new in 2008 - 1.5 hp and the motor got fried during the conversion to 220vac due to a bad schematic - Jet had a new motor in my hands in 48 hours. Whatever you do size your drill for the toughest application you will need, avoid a "split case" drill and make sure the bearings and spindle are aligned properly from the factory. If you decide to go with a true variable speed unit or gear head unit then the cost can double or triple.

Good Luck - Baker

·
Registered
474 Posts
Buying drill press is like getting a good woman. Be selective and choose wisely. After you have made the deal. Treat her with respect and dignity and she serve well for a lifetime. Mine is an old Chicago Machine. Not the best probably, but still runs well and as true as an arrow

1 - 4 of 4 Posts