Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on putting a 1/4" chamfer on a number of pieces of 1/2" MDF that are 1-1/4" square and others 2-1/2" square, and looking for the safest approach.

For 2 of the sides, it's straightforward as I can chamfer them in long strips (i.e. 48" x 1-1/4" or 2-1/2" x 48") before cutting them to length. For the other cut, I was contemplating holding them in a Jorgenson wooden hand screw clamp, with the piece extending slightly from between the wooden jaws.

Is this the safest way, or should I use my 23ga pin nailer to attach them to a piece of 1/2" MDF and use my Colt on them or ?????

·
Registered
282 Posts
Jim,
The clamps would work, If you have the little 6" ones, I think the large ones would be a pain. But if it was me, I would line them up on a strip of plywood, using the fiber Duck two-sided tape. That stuff holds really good. Wouldn't hurt to tack the first and last one, if you wanted to be extra safe.
Harry

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Jim browsing through a Woodcraft catalog I saw a jig to hold small pieces listed, can't find it just now and also went to their web page and couldn't find it. Perhaps someone else will have a jig for this purpose and can post it. If I find it later I will PM where it is. I know when I saw it I wanted to get one for myself.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Jim browsing through a Woodcraft catalog I saw a jig to hold small pieces listed, can't find it just now and also went to their web page and couldn't find it. Perhaps someone else will have a jig for this purpose and can post it. If I find it later I will PM where it is. I know when I saw it I wanted to get one for myself.
I think this is what Jerry was thinking of:
MLCS Safety Accessories
Price seems pretty reasonable but I don't see why your idea of using the clamps or Harry's idea about attaching them to a piece of plywood wouldn't work also.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Ya like the man said MLCS has the thing. I knew that, just checking to see if anyone was aleart!! Thank you John for finding that thing---was sure it was that other place though!! At 65 it is called a senior moment.:haha::haha:

I think I would like to get one from them unless I can come up with a good jig, easy to use and quick to set up. Again thanks John for bailing me out there, now I can quit looking!!:haha::haha:

MLCS Safety Accessories
Price seems pretty reasonable but I don't see why your idea of using the clamps or Harry's idea about attaching them to a piece of plywood wouldn't work also.:)

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Jim
It sounds like you got the way but you may want to try the ski jig way,,you just need to put them on the cam board use 4 cams lock them in place do all 4 edges at one time then flip it over and do it one more time and you have them done, you don't need to use the ski jig just lock them it in place and run your Colt all the way around them ...

The tape works well but not as fast as the cam board plus you don't need to remove the tape when you need to flip them over plus the tape likes to move just a little bit unlike the cam way :)

If you don't have a cam board on hand and the cams you can use some scrap stock for one and cut off some 1" dowel rod and drill some holes off center,screw them down to the board and then put your part in place and turn the cams to lock the project in place, but I'm sure once you get the project done you make a cam board...:)

===========

I'm planning on putting a 1/4" chamfer on a number of pieces of 1/2" MDF that are 1-1/4" square and others 2-1/2" square, and looking for the safest approach.

For 2 of the sides, it's straightforward as I can chamfer them in long strips (i.e. 48" x 1-1/4" or 2-1/2" x 48") before cutting them to length. For the other cut, I was contemplating holding them in a Jorgenson wooden hand screw clamp, with the piece extending slightly from between the wooden jaws.

Is this the safest way, or should I use my 23ga pin nailer to attach them to a piece of 1/2" MDF and use my Colt on them or ?????

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
MLCS Safety Accessories
Hi John,

I had one up until about a month ago and ended up giving it away. Too flimsy to feel safe for my taste. Better off with the wood screw clamp and save your money.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Small Peices

Hi BigJim,

Just sandwich them between two boards - say 1x3's a foot or two long - allowing them to overhang one edge enough for the sled to clear the bit without being cut into.

Line the pieces up against each other in a row to a "fence" of the same thickness and equal to the length of the 1x3's, then screw the top 1x3 over them through the fence "sandwiching" them in place, and you're good to go. Using two-way tape would also be a way to go, but I'm unsure that tape alone would be sufficient for peices of this (small) size. With pieces this small, it would be a good idea to use the tape in the sandwich, otherwise, they might have a tendency to want to "rotate" slightly as they pass through the bit.

This securing method is quite simple, it's fast, nothing fancy needed and works for many different applications.

good luck with your project,
Bob Carreiro
Poulsbo, WA

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you only have a few, I would use a hand screw. My next choice would be to build a sled to hold the workpiece while I cut the chamfer on my router table.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thamks guys, you've validated my idea. I've also thought that if it's iffy on holding tight enough, I can take a scrap of sandpaper, fold it in half and add a little glue on the paper side. Sandwich a piece between each jaw and the MDF and it'll be locked in solid, once clamped.

Bob... A cam board is smack dab on my to-do list. Now just to figure how large to make it. I'm kinda thinking about 24"x36". I suppose I should check to see what sized threaded rod is available locally first! <g>

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Jim

You may want to check out the links below :)
http://www.routerforums.com/jigs-fixtures/13311-bobj3-mr-jigs.html
http://www.routerforums.com/show-n-tell/13888-working-shop.html

========
Thamks guys, you've validated my idea. I've also thought that if it's iffy on holding tight enough, I can take a scrap of sandpaper, fold it in half and add a little glue on the paper side. Sandwich a piece between each jaw and the MDF and it'll be locked in solid, once clamped.

Bob... A cam board is smack dab on my to-do list. Now just to figure how large to make it. I'm kinda thinking about 24"x36". I suppose I should check to see what sized threaded rod is available locally first! <g>

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Jim looks like we both have more than just a few options. I have seen Bob's just took some time to build it, at least that is what he told me.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, BobJ... I hadn't thought of that! With Bob's 14x20 table requiring 247 holes, twice, a 24x36 would require about 805 holes twice!

..and let's see.. 805 T-nuts at (assuming) $0.15 each ==> $120.75 for the tee-nuts. Hmm..

I think I'd better go home and figure out the size I need to plane down some "legs" that bowed slightly during glue-up (not yet having a jointer plane and not having a 20" jointer!!

Hmm.. If I decide I need it that big I suppose I could drill the holes but only install (say) 100 T-nuts purchased locally to get the job done and order the rest via mail order. I don't know what they'll cost locally but I'll wager my $0.15 each is none too high!

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Jim

You're Welcome, the ones in the center of the board are not needed the norm ( a 6" to 8" square ) Bob did a great job on his board but if you just drill the holes you can always just move the tee nuts over to use them..I have about 100 in my board..and I have stripped out one or two and had to replace them,,they do get full of dust and if I forget sometimes to blow them out ,they can jam the screws up and strip the tee nuts out..:)

===========

Thanks, BobJ... I hadn't thought of that! With Bob's 14x20 table requiring 247 holes, twice, a 24x36 would require about 805 holes twice!

..and let's see.. 805 T-nuts at (assuming) $0.15 each ==> $120.75 for the tee-nuts. Hmm..

I think I'd better go home and figure out the size I need to plane down some "legs" that bowed slightly during glue-up (not yet having a jointer plane and not having a 20" jointer!!

Hmm.. If I decide I need it that big I suppose I could drill the holes but only install (say) 100 T-nuts purchased locally to get the job done and order the rest via mail order. I don't know what they'll cost locally but I'll wager my $0.15 each is none too high!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I don't know if you remember mine,but I went without all those holes. It has worked very well so far.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't know if you remember mine,but I went without all those holes. It has worked very well so far.
Hmm.. That approach would certainly be a lot quicker to make!

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Hmm.. That approach would certainly be a lot quicker to make!
Knocks a lot off the hardware costs also. Irregular objects, just add more cams......:yes4::yes4:
Only downside I see is that you are putting the clamping pressure on the wood, particle board, MDF, whatever... that the board is made of. Aluminum t-tracks would solve that but there go the cost aspects.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Rusty

Yes , I did forget about your setup board,,:)

Your board is great and you always think out side of the box,I did make a copy of your board back when you posted it ...but it got hung on the wall with the other fixtures and I just forgot about it..out of site out of mind thing..:)

http://www.routerforums.com/guide-bushings-templates/9204-1st-try-w-downunder-template-routing.html
http://www.routerforums.com/guide-bushings-templates/9947-clock-door.html
http://www.routerforums.com/guide-bushings-templates/14662-coasters.html

==========

1 - 20 of 24 Posts