Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want to buy an out of the box router table system (not building my own system) with the following requirements:

1. The table should double as a small table in my kitchen where 2 persons can eat. When the router is not in use, a thin board or something similar is put on top of the table and it should act as a normal table in the kitchen. Whenever I like to do some woodworking I carry the table into my living room or outside in my small garden and start routing away. The reason for this option is, that I dont have a lot of space and would like to have as many things as possible doubling in my workshop/apartment.

2. I am not a professional - I only work on hobby projects. I estimate that I will use the table maybe 2-4 times pr year. The other 360 days it will act as a table in the kitchen.

3. The table should not exceed the following dimensions: 900x600mm otherwise it will not fit in the kitchen.

4. Purchase price: Not important.

5. When used in the kitchen as a kitchen table I should find some smart way to remove the lower cross bars for sliding in my feet under the table.

Comments:
1. I live in Europe and will be able to buy Kreg, Incra, Jessem, Festool and a few other maybe. In Denmark I only have the option of seeing the Festool CMS table. The other systems are located up to 600 miles away in for instance Germany - which means I basically need to rely on online reviews when buying.

2. I am very confused by all the systems. The fence systems seem very complicated - I feel like a lost the overview.

3. Do I really need a router lift - if working in a hobby basis 4 times pr year? I will probably mount my Festool OF1400 underneath - it has some adjustment capabilities.

4. It would be REALLY nice if I can fit a circular hand saw into the router table hole. Of course by fabricating an adapter plate for the saw. Again the table could triple as a router, saw, kitchen table.

Can anyone based on this explain in what direction I should look?

One thing I noticed: The Incra LS Fence has a system where a large aluminum profile is accurately positioned and bolted to the table. In that profile, the fence system is sliding. If doubling as a kitchen table this would be bad, right? Then it would be better with a different fence system?

Lucas

·
Registered
Theo
7,164 Posts
Can't help on the table. But, if you do get something, I would not recommend routing in your living room, because a router generates a lot of sawdust, fast. I think a router lift would be an unnecessary expense, I don't have one, and do not ever plan on getting one.

With your limited use, I would recommend finding a friend with a router table, that will let you use it, or will do the work for you. Another possibility, a local school might have a woodworking class, and offer tool/lessons in the evenings to non-students.

But you may not even need one, depending on what you want to use it for. What projects do you have in mind?

·
Registered
384 Posts
This sounds like a cool custom design and build project. Maybe there is a full woodshed near you could work with to make this for you.

I watched a YouTube video last night (Toolify) where the guy has a festool router and MFT. The router bit stuck up through one of the 20mm dog holes.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
build a table top router table...
move it around on a hand truck and take it out into the yard to use...

Reactions: Bushwhacker

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I don't think you will find anything that will successfully double as a kitchen table that is for purchase. You could make one and then remove the router and plate when not needed and replace them with a decorative insert. I made one a year ago that had folding table legs for my son who has very little storage room. You could make or buy a table top type unit that might store under a bed or in the bottom of a closet.

As Theo said, you do not want to operate one in your kitchen or living room. You would only try that once, I can assure you of that. A plunge router will not fit into a lift and doesn't need one anyway.

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,526 Posts
I would just drop a router plate into your kitchen table , have a dust collection box underneath that you can hook to your vacuum .
Just make sure you lower the router when it's not in use so the blades not exposed . Could be hard on kids fingers

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
I would just drop a router plate into your kitchen table , have a dust collection box underneath that you can hook to your vacuum .
Just make sure you lower the router when it's not in use so the blades not exposed . Could be hard on kids fingers
Funny , funny , Rick, HAHAHA

Herb

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your answers. However, I have decided to buy a system from either:

Kreg
Incra
Jessem
... maybe a 4th to me unknown supplier.

When I am looking at the Kreg table it looks appealing to me: Very simple yet sturdy. It has the correct table dimensions and I can adjust the height of the legs. I can remove the fence easily and have have a flat surface in the kitchen.

So it boils to down to having a flat table and a fence which can be attached/removed easily. So for table/fence I am looking for the most rock solid setup with as many options as possible. Is it possible to have a fence which can be moved without jamming=smooth operating? But I cannot have the Incra LS fence because it will require me to permanently attack the aluminum profile to the table - isn't that correct? So for Incra I only have the option of the Wonderfence, right?

So basically: Has anyone played with Incra, Jessem and Kreg?

Lucas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts