Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to routers so need some advice.

I have a fair quantity of mortice-tenon joints to make to join handrails to posts on a deck all built from Cypress Macrocarpa. I have a Triton work station and have mounted my Hitachi router to the routing table. My idea at present for routing the tenons is to mount the router with the spindle horizontal, present the handrails end on to the bit and cut each side of the tenon in turn. This means I could set up stops and guides in an attempt to get accurate and repeatable tenons.

I've already made up a jig to set up the router for the mortices and it works well. Just need advice as to whether I'm approaching the tenon problem correctly ..or should I use a saw?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you need it done then do it yourself!

No help from the forum so tried an alternative that worked a treat. Mounted router on the Triton, set fence at required tenon length and bit at the required depth then routed away (bit at right angles to the tenon). Job done!::dirol:

·
Registered
989 Posts
You'e a bit too quick with your criticism, most of the members are still aslep so won't have seen this, but you have what ,in my opinion, is the best answer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No offence meant

:wacko::wacko:
You'e a bit too quick with your criticism, most of the members are still aslep so won't have seen this, but you have what ,in my opinion, is the best answer.
I posted my query more than a month ago so don't consider that I'm a bit quick! :confused:Doesn't matter, it's a free world and noone is obliged to post answers if they are too busy.

Thanks for your opinion tho, nice to kbow that something that works is OK after all.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have no way of knowing when you first posted, it has just showed that's why I answered.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
This array of tenons, all cut with the work held on end, (vertically), on a platform fixture big enough to support a plunger/DW621.
Now with edge guides and stops, any tenon on any practical length stick can be cut in many configs.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have no way of knowing when you first posted, it has just showed that's why I answered.
Hi Derek,

On my screen, using Internet Explorer 9, on the left side, right above the persons user name, is a date and time the person submitted their post.

I show 08-12-2011, 07:35 AM for the first post of the thread and Yesterday, 07:14 AM for his follow-up posting.

I'm one of those who can get so involved in reading the forums that I could easily resurrect a four year old thread if it weren't for my catching that date and time. At least most of the time. :"^)

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts