Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I made my Fortune Teller project, I wanted everything to look as old and antique as possible. That meant I had to age the parts I made out of shiny new brass. You may find the technique helpful for projects where you have new hardware and would like it to appear aged.

A simple 50/50 solution of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide achieves the aged look in about 5 minutes or less. It helps speed up the process if you heat the liquid in the microwave to about the boiling point before putting your brass pieces into the solution.

The acidic vinegar attacks the surface of the brass and the peroxide oxidizes it. When done, your solution will begin to take on a greenish color because of the copper leeched from the brass. The 50/50 solution can be saved and used again later on other projects.

Here are samples of the aged Fortune Teller side plate, and a comparison of two small brass hinges where one was aged, and one was not.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
When I made my Fortune Teller project, I wanted everything to look as old and antique as possible. That meant I had to age the parts I made out of shiny new brass. You may find the technique helpful for projects where you have new hardware and would like it to appear aged.

A simple 50/50 solution of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide achieves the aged look in about 5 minutes or less. It helps speed up the process if you heat the liquid in the microwave to about the boiling point before putting your brass pieces into the solution.

The acidic vinegar attacks the surface of the brass and the peroxide oxidizes it. When done, your solution will begin to take on a greenish color because of the copper leeched from the brass. The 50/50 solution can be saved and used again later on other projects.

Here are samples of the aged Fortune Teller side plate, and a comparison of two small brass hinges where one was aged, and one was not.
When you heat up your solution in the microwave, do you leave the brass piece in the solution? That would speed up the process somewhat.:lol::laugh:
HAHAHA!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.