Router Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm hoping to get a laser, as well, and my thoughts were that for routing then a true filter system would be in order for dust and particle removal, but for laser, removal of the smoke/fumes would be paramount. This could be simply achieved with a bathroom type exhaust fan attached to the enclosed laser machine. Cheap to buy and run.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm hoping to get a laser, as well, and my thoughts were that for routing then a true filter system would be in order for dust and particle removal, but for laser, removal of the smoke/fumes would be paramount. This could be simply achieved with a bathroom type exhaust fan attached to the enclosed laser machine. Cheap to buy and run.
A fan MOVES the fumes but it does not CONTAIN them. so if you are at a craft fair and only blowing toxic fumes away from the machine, you are still releasing them onto the public, and yourself. A filter must CAPTURE and CONTAIN the toxic fumes in order to be effective.

Joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
A fan MOVES the fumes but it does not CONTAIN them. so if you are at a craft fair and only blowing toxic fumes away from the machine, you are still releasing them onto the public, and yourself. A filter must CAPTURE and CONTAIN the toxic fumes in order to be effective.

Joe

You are right, of course. I was just thinking from the confines of my own, garage/workshop prospective. I see the 'standalone source capture' extractors are quite expensive.
Good luck with your search.

·
Official Greeter
19,967 Posts
G'day Dugsdaddy, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
You are right, of course. I was just thinking from the confines of my own, garage/workshop prospective. I see the 'standalone source capture' extractors are quite expensive.
Good luck with your search.
I have to wonder if an extraction fan with a modest (read: affordable) filter that then exhausts the air through a 20-foot tall PVC tube would be enough in a public setting. Would I begin to see people dropping dead in a circle at fifty feet distance around my booth? :unsure:

Joe

21 - 28 of 28 Posts