Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do all routers flow air through from top to bottom? I can see where good dust collection could really extend the service life of a router if mounted in a table inverted. Do any vent air through the sides instead of the bottom?

Surely none vent from bottom to top. It would seem to be a great way to fill the motor with dust.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
As far as I know all router fans vent air from top down past the bit. This makes sense in 2 ways. First, it helps keep dust and chips out of the motor. Second is that there is heat produced at the cut so pulling hot air from there doesn't make sense.

I have my dust collection behind the bit on top of the table and I get 95% or better for most operations. Many of the manufactured systems also collect from that spot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was watching a review of a popular router and the reviewer was going on how the air flow was going from top to bottom like this was something new. Hence the question.

I have a cheap router with a plastic cooling fan. While rolling some edges some of the fins broke out and fell down by the bit. Wonder if any manufacturer uses a metal fan?

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I don't know. The plastic ones should be fine if they are the right plastic.If you lost very many fins you should try and replace it.

·
Registered
Theo
7,156 Posts
Do all routers flow air through from top to bottom? I can see where good dust collection could really extend the service life of a router if mounted in a table inverted. Do any vent air through the sides instead of the bottom?

Surely none vent from bottom to top. It would seem to be a great way to fill the motor with dust.
I don't know which way the air flows in mine, several older Craftsmans. They are only used in my router table. What I do know is that I have opened a couple up, and there was not a speck of dust in either. And I know that a lot of dust is generated, and goes thru the hole for the bit - and then is blown mostly in my lap (I sit while using them).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it is not a big problem, the air flow through the router motor, that is. Guess it was advertising that caught my eye.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts