Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set S10000M3 on the nebula 2.2 kw air spindle and it is the only spindle speed command in the g-code file.
However the spindle sometimes suddenly slows down/loses all speed, within roughly 2 or 3 seconds. It seems to happen on or after a feed command (F).
This is really really bad as the machine+cutter keeps moving.
Any 'light on' this?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Call Len and make sure the settings are right on the VFD. If they are, then the spindle is bad. He'll replace it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I agree with John, sounds like the spindle is bad. Or maybe the VFD is bad. Can you just run the spindle by itself and see if it does the same thing? I'd run it for 5-10 minutes to check that.

David
I agree. Go to MDI tab and type in M3 S10000 and hit enter. Spindle will run by itself. Unfortunately, problem may or may not show up without a load on it. One other thing to check would be all the wiring connections to make sure they are tight. A loose or bad connection could do the same thing.

Dave

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The spindle runs fine with MDI, and VFD wiring also looks fine (did not rewire). It only happens and re-occurs with one particular g-code file but I don't see anything wrong with it, no M5 or other insertions. I think this file is somehow corrupt. I now always use Vector Validator to make sure geometry is right. Don't know if incomplete geometry can cause this kind of problem.

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
The spindle runs fine with MDI, and VFD wiring also looks fine (did not rewire). It only happens and re-occurs with one particular g-code file but I don't see anything wrong with it, no M5 or other insertions. I think this file is somehow corrupt. I now always use Vector Validator to make sure geometry is right. Don't know if incomplete geometry can cause this kind of problem.
Just maybe the vectors contain a boat load of nodes that are causing the slow down. Check your file and see if some of them can be removed by using the "smooth" tool on the vector where the nodes are thick.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Willing to look at file if you want to post or email. Doubt that "incomplete geometry" would cause the spindle to stop.

Dave

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, forgot to follow up on this. This was fixed in Feb 2018. Nothing was wrong with spindle or VFD. However one of the VFD settings inadvertently was wrong. I stepped through all the settings and found a max voltage setting that was clobbered and not as was described in the Probotix guide. I don't know how that happened. The Probotix consultant said that I did not need to edit/verify these settings as they are set before shipping but I did not know that. The lesson for me here is that if the spindle has an issue to first check all VFD settings.

The other lesson I learned a month ago is about side surface quality. All my small 0.75 thick HDPE plastic parts suddenly started to show less smooth or rough side surfaces. As I was in a time bind, I tried different cutters, speeds, pass depths and feedrates and cut many of the same parts multiple times in the hope of just getting some quality parts for a toy assembly. Sometimes I would get a reasonably good part but most were not good enough. I suspected that maybe my spindle speed was not honored and really much lower than indicated as the machining/cutting noise was different and sharper. I finally called Kaden at Probotix and told him the machine was only a year old and asked for advice. He advised me that such a quality problem is often 'chatter', especially on older machines. He recommended to tighten all bolts on the side risers/sliders and try again. Most of the 24 bolts were good/tight, maybe about 5 or 6 needed a little bit of tightening, which I did. That took care of it. Lesson here is to call Probotix help much sooner, it can save lots of time and frustration!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts