Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
thanks..

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Yes to scrapers. I have a number of them and love using them. You can get an amazingly smooth finish. I used a scraper on the bench project I posted in show-n-tell. And as a health benefit, they don't put superfine dust particles in the air for you to breath.

By the way, there are shorter videos that get down to the specifics in a lot less time then that video.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I love them and have been using them for years but they got to the point where I couldn't roll the edges anymore and I finally had to file off the hardened metal and start over. This tool from Lee Valley makes that job easier plus my son used to use it to sharpen the edges of his snow board. It holds the file and keeps it at the correct angle for you. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/sho...-mounts-and-rests/32631-veritas-jointer-edger

Reactions: PhilBa

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I love them and have been using them for years but they got to the point where I couldn't roll the edges anymore and I finally had to file off the hardened metal and start over. This tool from Lee Valley makes that job easier plus my son used to use it to sharpen the edges of his snow board. It holds the file and keeps it at the correct angle for you. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/sho...-mounts-and-rests/32631-veritas-jointer-edger
Great idea and not that pricey. Of course when I went to plunk down my cash, out of stock until March 13.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On tip I picked up on for rolling the hook onto intricate scrapers (like a French curve), was inserting a solid carbide Dremel bit upside down into a Dremel and using the smooth edge to gently roll the hook onto the scraper following along the curved surface. And the clamping device and burnishing tool that precisely rolls a 5 degree hook...Brilliant!

·
Registered
21,697 Posts
Love scrapers. No better finish than when you work on a scraped workpiece. Far nicer than sanding when appropriate. Attached pix of two scraper holders that are easy on old hands than using fingers wood, aluminum, and a sharpener. All three gadgets make use and maintenance of scrapers easier.

The sharpener is Veritas. Elegant, very simple to use and a perfect edge every time.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Great idea and not that pricey. Of course when I went to plunk down my cash, out of stock until March 13.
Murphy's Law. That's typical of the luck I have too.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I use the Srewart Macdonald scrapers. http://https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Scrapers/StewMac_Ultimate_Scraper.html
Not cheap but, IMO worth every penny. They produce the great finish luthiers require and, the time saved in sharpening is a huge bonus.
Hmm, interesting take on an ancient tool. It wasn't clear from a 30 second scan if you burnish it to create the edge or just grind it. I'd think you still need to burnish. They seem kind of small at first glance, how is the hand feel?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Union No 60 Scraper Plane

This is my Union No 60 Scraper plane. Primarily used for floor scraping and cabinet building. The blade tilt is adjustable. I also have an array of hand held cabinet scrapers that I am comfortable using.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hmm, interesting take on an ancient tool. It wasn't clear from a 30 second scan if you burnish it to create the edge or just grind it. I'd think you still need to burnish. They seem kind of small at first glance, how is the hand feel?
The write up on the mini grinder said you just grind it and the 3" wheels are small enough to create a hollow grind. They are quite a bit thicker (the ultimate ones at least) than the regular card scraper.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
They are small. The largest is about half the width of an ordinary scraper. But, they're made for luthiers. Doesn't mean us ordinary guys don't find them useful.:wink:
As to sharpening, a light touch with a soft white wheel does the trick. There's a more indepth video showing how to set up your tool rest to get the even grind needed. It's easy to do.
The majority of my work is in mesquite. These little scrapers really make it shine. They may need to visit the grinder two or three times a session. Mesquite is ornery. But, a thirty second grind sure beats filing, honing and turning burs. BTDT but, no more. Oh, they fit the hand comfortably and never get hot.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
But they are also $40 US. Still, if they work well enough then it's worth it.

Reactions: Gene Howe

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Worth every penny, Chuck. While I'm not in business, I still hate wasting time.

Reactions: Cherryville Chuck
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.