Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fence in the first pic might look finished but it's not. I have yet to slot the UHMW and drill the plywood backer for the bolts. Otherwise, the fence is done. Later I'll make a 4" wide drawer for bits that will attach to the legs on the right side and slide out. After that will be casters and dust collection...not necessarily in that order.

The table and fence are entirely shop-made.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Chuck, one easy method of putting dust collection on your fence is to cut two more of your angle supports and place them on either side of the opening. Add a square with a 2-1/4" hole in it for the hose to cover it and you are done. ShopNotes plans call for using 1/4" hardboard but I think the hose would not stay in place well. I would use a piece of 1"x ?.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, Mike. I'm also looking on Youtube and other places for plans to make either a cyclone or a Thien baffle chip collector to place ahead of my shop vac. Any experience with either?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Chuck, have you been to Phil Thien's site? His design scales up or down rather nicely. I've built 2 of them. One is on a full sized trash can (33 gal, iirc) for my big dust collector and the other is on a small 6 gal bucket for a shop vac. Both work amazingly well. For the shop vac, I use a HEPA filter and built a cart to hold it all. I also use an iVAC switch that turns on the shop vac when the tool is turned on. Works great. Pix below.

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that, Phil. I have been to Thien's site and several others. I'm almost settled on an approach and I'm strongly leaning toward the Thien baffle.

Looks like your shop vac and mine may be the same size an brand. I have a Harbor Freight movers dolly on which I'll install a platform to carry the bucket and shop vac.

·
Premium Member
17,424 Posts
I deliberately wasn't keeping close track but I'd bet it's $300-350. I probably didn't save much, if any, over buying a pre-built table but I got the benefit of the experience -- and bragging rights. :wink:
Great job . This is exactly how I feel too ;)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I deliberately wasn't keeping close track but I'd bet it's $300-350. I probably didn't save much, if any, over buying a pre-built table but I got the benefit of the experience -- and bragging rights. :wink:
Building your own router table is a woodworker's rite of passage. The education is truly priceless.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nicely done Chuck!! I like the wood edge around the MDF. I do believe that I will be adding that to my list of things to do.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, guys, for your kind words.

Building your own router table is a woodworker's rite of passage. The education is truly priceless.
As I said in a previous post, I'm not blessed with great patience but this project taught me the value of taking my time, paying attention to details, being meticulous with measurements, etc. Even though I've done other big woodworking projects that turned out well, I'm proudest of this one.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,314 Posts
Very nice Chuck.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just cleaning up my computer room and ran across the articles I found on the Internet that were the inspiration for my router table and fence. The table was suggested by a Woodsmith magazine Weekend Project from 2007 and the fence by a Woodsmith Tips from Our Shop in 2009. While I made no effort to replicate them exactly, the general features from both are plainly visible. With the fence especially, enhancements were gathered from more recent Youtube woodworking videos, etc.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One other thing this project reinforced for me...don't be afraid to proceed because you'll make the inevitable mistakes. Just fix them...or disguise them. That way, nobody but you will know.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Successful dust collection test

I ran two 21" lengths of a pine board through a 3/8" round-over bit and 99%...I'm not kidding...of the sawdust was extracted by the shop vac through the dust collection port. VERY LITTLE of it settled on the shelf under the table.

I guess I can consider the table finished now.

I just posted an album with three pics. The first is the table as initially built with the unfinished fence, the second is the front of the completed fence with the adjustable UHMW facing, the T-track and bit guard, the third is the back of the fence showing the DC port and the knobs for adjusting the UHMW.

In the next day or two I'm going to post another album showing some of my past woodworking projects.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts