Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone !.

Yes, I am a greenhorn when it comes to the finer points of router use but I'm aware that its a mighty tool. Just bought an inexpensive machine with half and quarter inch collets and a 'Trend' starter kit of cutters. have a project right now where I have to cut out multiple holes in a 12mm sheet of 'Medite' MDF. Each hole is to be around 60mm in diameter. I know, the solution is probably so basic I appear like the result of time travel from the time of the hunter gatherer period. Maybe I'm just lazy !, however time is short as I have a mere 3 weeks to make an installation art piece and getting this accurate is where I start. I have some ideas but someone out there may be hot wired into a smarter, quicker solution. Any ideas please drop me a line- Happy making everyone !.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings Bee and welcome to the router forum.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,059 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bee. The easy and accurate way to rout identical holes is to make a template, just a suitably sized piece of MDF, from 9mm thick but not critical. Rout a hole in it using a simple circle cutting jig, the size of hole determined by the size of cutter and template guide.

If you are metric, use something like a 10mm straight cutter and perhaps a 30mm guide. With this combination the hole in the template would be:

guide dia. - cutter dia. + finished hole size so, 30 - 10 + 60 = 80mm hole in template for a 60mm finished size hole.

Hopefully these shots from earlier threads of mine will make it clearer, if you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Welcome aboard, you have a beautiful state.

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Welcome Bee to the RouterForums. Glad to have you join us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts