Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ran across this site yesterday while looking for a miter gauge.it seemed interesting so here i am.i have been in construction for 40 years mostly as a trim carpenter.i am now retired and am setting up a small shop to keep my hand in woodworking.i just built a router table,the top is MDF any suggetsions on sealing this top?i know someone will set a soda on it one day and it will spill dont want the top sucking up moisture.thanks for any suggestions.:)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
welcome david

as one old carpenter to another there is lots to learn on this site. Sealing top question will supply lots of suggestions around here, I am a polyurethane fan and I wax

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Welcome, I would go with some type of formica or 2nd poly and it will take a few coats as the first will soak in and dissapear, did Ya rout out a slot to mount some type of tbar or something of that type.Good luck,

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Welcome, David!
+1 to the formica suggestion. That's what I have on my MDF table top and it is super slick, glue won't stick to it and you can use it for a note pad (pencil) and erase it with your hand and it is impervious to Cokes, coffee or any other liquids you or someone else may spill on it. Another (easier, cheaper) route would be to apply a few coats of wax to seal it and put a trim on the edges to help against the humidity.

·
Official Greeter
19,388 Posts
ran across this site yesterday while looking for a miter gauge.it seemed interesting so here i am.i have been in construction for 40 years mostly as a trim carpenter.i am now retired and am setting up a small shop to keep my hand in woodworking.i just built a router table,the top is MDF any suggetsions on sealing this top?i know someone will set a soda on it one day and it will spill dont want the top sucking up moisture.thanks for any suggestions.:)
Welcome to the forum, David.

Another vote for Laminex/Formica.....

·
Registered
Theo
7,185 Posts
Welcome aboard. Nice to see someone has made their own router table. I'm a fan of Johnson's paste wax, can use it on wood, or metal surfaces to keep it from rusting, and a can seems to last forever.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the suggestions.found a product at sherwin williams,Wood Classics its a fast dry oil finish.seems to work ok.wish i had thought of laminate before i had my top finished.that what happens when your in a hurry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts