Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know our dollar is 80 cents US , but these price discrepancies are ridiculous.
I’m trying to find a horizontal metal saw , but I hate paying 6 times more than our neighbors to the south.
Check this out lol

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
6,914 Posts
For horizontal cutting I use a angle grinder. A chop saw would be nice except I don't really need one. Years ago I bought a Harbor Freight Portaband, for about $70. Couldn't find those any more, they seem to have been replaced by this. https://www.harborfreight.com/10-amp-deep-cut-variable-speed-band-saw-kit-63444.html

I made a stand for my Portaband, which worked out nicely. The saw is still working just fine. You could make a frame for one that would work like you want I would imagine, without a lot of trouble. I didn't because the stand I made and an angle grinder suit all my needs.

Don't ask how I made it, because it was one of those Zen woodworking things, and I couldn't have told you how I made it 5 minutes after I did it. All I really remember about the build was drilling a hole thru the post, so I could reach a screw on the saw. Why buy, when it's so much more fun making your own? Hehehe
:grin:

Attachments

Reactions: Roy Drake

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Theo , I have a Makita 12” chop saw . 1/4” thick , 3”-2” angle iron eats the discs up for breakfast.
I will be also cutting 2”-4”rectangular metal tubing and mitring in 45 corners , so a decent horizontal bandsaw would be great.
I want a Grizzly 561 model , but there not available in Canada that I can see . The saw must cut 4” wide tubing at a 45 degree angle . Ive found some bench models , but they won’t cut that capacity .
Busy Bee tools has Jet brand stuff , but I’m not big on that name, or King for that matter

·
Registered
Theo
6,914 Posts
Huh. I've never had any issues with anything I've cut, including 1/4" angle iron.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Whats the import duty to buy the yankee one and deliver it to the frozen north?
Normally no import duty anymore, altho I "think" there are some rules in places for certain countrys of origin. Usually it's just sales tax. The main problem with buying from south of the border is the delivery method. Usually the courier company charges a fairly hefty brokerage fee to bring anything across the border. With that price difference, I think Rick would still come out ahead. Of course, that all hinges on the seller being willing to ship to Canada... some aren't for whatever reason.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Theo , I have a Makita 12” chop saw . 1/4” thick , 3”-2” angle iron eats the discs up for breakfast.
I will be also cutting 2”-4”rectangular metal tubing and mitring in 45 corners , so a decent horizontal bandsaw would be great.
I want a Grizzly 561 model , but there not available in Canada that I can see . The saw must cut 4” wide tubing at a 45 degree angle . Ive found some bench models , but they won’t cut that capacity .
Busy Bee tools has Jet brand stuff , but I’m not big on that name, or King for that matter
Rick what about the Milwaukee band saw?

https://www.cpooutlets.com/milwauke...5i2c9RV8ERNIuZpz4oGD7fVE3LIB7j4UaAqCmEALw_wcB

·
Registered
944 Posts
Rick,
I agree with David. There must be a mistake, the difference is not logical. As for King, I have a table saw and dust collector and router and all three work well and I've had them for over ten years. King also has the INDUSTRIAL series of metalworking tools, maybe check them out. Auctions are also a good place to pick up good tools for little money, and there is no lack of metalworking shops closing down.

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rick,
I agree with David. There must be a mistake, the difference is not logical. As for King, I have a table saw and dust collector and router and all three work well and I've had them for over ten years. King also has the INDUSTRIAL series of metalworking tools, maybe check them out. Auctions are also a good place to pick up good tools for little money, and there is no lack of metalworking shops closing down.
I doubt there’s a mistake . Some sellers are just hoping to find a sucker I believe. Search Miller welding helmets I can get the Elite here for 450 bucks , yet the amazon sellers want $1600 for them .
If it’s not fulfilled by Amazon , anything seems to go .
An auction in Alberta would be nice to attend . I have to say horizontal saws are rare though

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Changes???

Rick, that surprised me. JET in Canada has/had nothing really to do with JET in the US, apparently. Or so it's been in the past. Trying to buy JET machinery in Canada is a mystery to me...
https://surewerx.com/
View the JET Tools and Equipment Catalogues
It looks like there've been some major changes(?).

Just for the record, I have a couple of pieces of JET machinery and they've been trouble free for years.

I just checked the SUREWERX website...
https://surewerx.com/jet-equipment-tools
Do you see any woodworking machinery, or metalworking for that matter. It's just as I recall; basically handtools. I'd be worried about warranty.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
We have a Milwaukee metal cutting circular saw that will cut up to 1" steel plate. We also have their metal cutting chop saw which will cut miters up to about 4", and a modified Delta Contractor's Saw 34-444 that we cut steel plate, angles, and square tubing much like you would cut wood. The modification involves a jack shaft and pulleys to reduce the blade speed by about 1/2 and the use of a carbide toothed metal cutting blade. It will also cut steel and non ferrous metals up to 1" thick. We use a foot switch with it for safety. Full face and frontal protection is needed when using these saws, because of the hot chips. Metal doesn't close up around the blade like wood does, so it's actually safer than ripping wood. We also have a Milwaukee and a Dewalt portaband type band saws with SWAG Offroad Portaband Saw tables for them. These tables let you remove the saw for portable use or leave them mounted in the tables for horizontal cutting. They remove from the tables with just one thumb bolt, so it's easy to do.

Charley

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I find you have to be really careful with Amazon sellers pricing. I buy more on EBay now than I used to not that you don’t need to keep an eye on them too.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Maybe the Canadian listing is in error, Rick. Did you check with the seller or Amazon?

David
It's no mistake. I see items that range from slightly cheaper than the US to 10x as much.

Reactions: RainMan 2.0

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Dang Rick, for that difference, you cold take a nice vacation and drive South and buy the tool, then drag it home.

·
Registered
Theo
6,914 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Dang Rick, for that difference, you cold take a nice vacation and drive South and buy the tool, then drag it home.
For that price I could drive all the way to Texas and visit you and see how your new toy works, get us both sh#t faced drunk, purchace it in Houston, head to Vegas on the way back for a few days , and have money to spare .
Hate driving with a hangover though. :|

·
Super Moderator
David
3,570 Posts
For that price I could drive all the way to Texas and visit you and see how your new toy works, get us both sh#t faced drunk, purchace it in Houston, head to Vegas on the way back for a few days , and have money to spare .
Hate driving with a hangover though. :|
I won't do the drinking or gambling with you but if you get all the way to Mike's you better come one state over and visit me! :grin:

David

·
Registered
Theo
6,914 Posts
I find you have to be really careful with Amazon sellers pricing. I buy more on EBay now than I used to not that you don’t need to keep an eye on them too.
I have passed on a lot of potential eBay purchases, because of the excess shipping costs they ask.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts