Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!,

I am very eager to hear if anyone has had experience with either of these router sets or individual bits:

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B000HDTYSO/?coliid=IXHW3UPS5LU9W&colid=38KMAONPYKZ2Z&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B00KZM2YXO/?coliid=IM6PXNIM7ZIIA&colid=38KMAONPYKZ2Z&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I know the Yonico brand is fairly popular but are these new Neiko ones on par with Yonico or inferior?.

Always apreciate anyone chiming in, Kind regards - Eager Beaver

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I have bought a few Yonko bits from -

https://www.precisionbits.com

and I found then good value for what I wanted, however I don't recommend those types of sets, you buy far too many bits that you may never use, just buy the ones you have a use for, buys the best ones you can afford, fewer quality bits that you use, are better than a pile you may never use. N

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have bought a few Yonko bits from -

https://www.precisionbits.com

and I found then good value for what I wanted, however I don't recommend those types of sets, you buy far too many bits that you may never use, just buy the ones you have a use for, buys the best ones you can afford, fewer quality bits that you use, are better than a pile you may never use. N
G'day Neville,
Did you get them off Amazon or direct from PrecisionBits?.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hello Sam, I have purchased around 30 Yonico bits off Amazon and they have performed well for me as a casual user. The only sets that I've purchased are the round-overs in both 1/4" and 1/2" shank. Otherwise, I just buy individual bits as I need them. I noticed that one of the sets you posted is 1/4" shank and the other is 1/2" shank. Are you intending on buying both sets? If so, I think you're buying way more bits than you'll use, but that is for you to decide. If you have a router with a 1/2" collet, you may regret it if you buy only the Yonico set with the 1/4" shank.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I agree withNevillle9999 many bits you will never use. Personal preference is 1/2" shaft instead of 1/4" shaft. You may want to buy a few types of bits you know that you will use (Flush Trim Bit, Straight bit, Rabbeting bits with multiple bearings) and start from there.

·
Registered
17,390 Posts
It would be one heck of a deal if they were any good . I buy Freud bits individually,as I’ve had great success with them .
I bought a set of generic router bits at Canadian Tire way back in the day , and on mdf I got about six inches of round off till it began smoking.
Just saying that that was it for me and kits , but I have no experience with the ones your looking at

These guys make a good point regarding shaft size . I prefer the 1/2” shaft also , as I’ve had a 1/4” one bend

·
Registered
19,002 Posts
I'm a Freud fan, and prefer individual bits. Have a Yonico mortising bit on 1/4 shaft. It works fine, but gets very little use. For door sets, I have three sets of Sommerfeld matched bits, but think I'd be just as happy with Freud's matched bit sets. I don't think sets are much of a bargain for a casual user.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've only purchased a set of 4 trim bits. All of my other bits I purchased as needed. Admittedly, I did buy a few simply because they were on sale. I guess I've tried 5 or 6 manufacturers. I've settled on Whiteside. Their bits aren't cheap but they have performed the best for me of those that I've tried.

I only have one 1/4" bit. It's a 1/8" round over. When I use it I have to change the collet. Not a big deal to do but all of my other bits are 1/2" shank. The 1/2" bits have more mass behind them and, overall, I think they cut better and faster than 1/4". Now, I only have a full size router (Bosch 1617). If I had a trim router then I'd need more 1/4" bits.

If you are just starting out, have little to no experience with routing but expect to do varied woodworking projects in the future, a set with the most of the common bits could be a good way to start. I probably have around 30 or so bits some of which I only used on one project. By buying a large set of bits, over time you will learn which ones you really use often. Once you do you can invest in a higher quality bit. When you do you will most like see the difference between the inexpensive bit from the set and a higher quality bit. Had I started out with an inexpensive set, I believe that my total investment in bits would be less than I spent so far. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lots of good advice given here. I was going to buy a set like you. Luckily i joined this forum and only buy the bits that i need in 1/2", but I have a big router. It all depends on your projects, but i try to buy better quality bits in the profiles that will get used a lot.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a full set of Yanico bits, I have been very pleased with them. Yes there are bits that you most likely not use, but If I need that odd ball bit, it's there. As often as I use my router, I find that they meet my needs.

CAD-Man

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello Sam, I have purchased around 30 Yonico bits off Amazon and they have performed well for me as a casual user. The only sets that I've purchased are the round-overs in both 1/4" and 1/2" shank. Otherwise, I just buy individual bits as I need them. I noticed that one of the sets you posted is 1/4" shank and the other is 1/2" shank. Are you intending on buying both sets? If so, I think you're buying way more bits than you'll use, but that is for you to decide. If you have a router with a 1/2" collet, you may regret it if you buy only the Yonico set with the 1/4" shank.
Hi Chuck, Thanks for your reply and to everyone else who has. You are right I posted the wrong link for the Yonico, it should have been this one with the 1/2 inch shanks:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Yonico-17...SRX3P465DBZ&psc=1&refRID=KRDXQ6BJ8SRX3P465DBZ

I think its sound advice to buy them individually as you and others have said however, theres alot I know I'll be using. Heres a list:

3-6 Round Over (Different Sizes)
2-4 Chamfer (Different Sizes)
2 Spiral upcut (Differnt sizes) for morticing
1 Large Straight Cut (Differnt sizes)
2 Flush Trim (top and bottom bearing)

Optional Extra's:

Dovetail
Rail & Stile (Match Set)
Raise Panel

As you guys may know prices over here in Australia are, well lets say not cheap!. Having said that I don't want to buy chuckaway bits and they ahve to all be 1/2 inch swanks...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree withNevillle9999 many bits you will never use. Personal preference is 1/2" shaft instead of 1/4" shaft. You may want to buy a few types of bits you know that you will use (Flush Trim Bit, Straight bit, Rabbeting bits with multiple bearings) and start from there.
Rabbeting I do on the table saw but the others yes!.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm a Freud fan, and prefer individual bits. Have a Yonico mortising bit on 1/4 shaft. It works fine, but gets very little use. For door sets, I have three sets of Sommerfeld matched bits, but think I'd be just as happy with Freud's matched bit sets. I don't think sets are much of a bargain for a casual user.
Hi Tom, Thanks for your reply. I agree, for matching bits I will go the assured quality brand.:smile:

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I wanted some small moulding cutters and after a long search I found Precision Bits had some I liked, so I bought direct from them. at the time I did no know they were Yonko cutters but I have found the quality very good so over time I did buy more direct from them.

No, I did not look at prices or know I may have been able to buy Yonko from Amazon, I have no idea if the prices would have been the same. N

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Good advice I could have said that myself. I would never buy a big set like that as it will have many cutters in it I would not use and I may not be happy with the quality, so what then? as I am stuck with all of them. N

·
Registered
681 Posts
2-4 Chamfer (Different Sizes)
Sam, it looks like you got a lot of good information and are headed in the right direction. One other thing to consider is what I call the range of work that the bit can do. For example. when you say different sizes for chamfer bits, if you mean different angles (45 degree, 22.5 degree, etc) then I understand up to to 4 different sizes. However, if you mean up to 4 sizes of 45 degree chamfer bits for different cutting heights, that may be more than you need. For example, I have a Whiteside 45 degree 1 1/16" cutting height that I'm currently using to cut some 1/2 inch plywood (which, of course is less than 1/2 inch) and it's doing an excellent job. I don't need any other size. If I was working with lumber thicker than 1" it would probably be for a larger build and I'd use my table saw to cut it. The reason I don't use my table saw more often for 45 degree cuts is that it's a pain to adjust to exactly 45 degrees even using a digital gage. It's a contractor's saw and a bit finicky. Please note, this is just my opinion based on my experience. Other people may feel differently. Bottom line, as with any tool, you'll learn as you use it and make future decisions based on your own experience.

Reactions: Sam-Something

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mr.Rainman, 2.0

Did I read it right that you have a router bit actually bend. I have never ever bent one. I have broke one and seen a couple others break. I would really get timid if I had some that were bending.
Thanks for the infro.

I won't rest any easier now I know that can happen.
Tagwatts1

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yonico is “popular” because it is easily available on commodity sites (e.g. Amazon) and positions itself (pays for visibility) to come up on generic searches for competing products. Yonico (and brands like them) is a commodity product, which may fit the bill, but are (in my experience) lacking precision, are of less-than-optimum build quality and tend to use lesser grade carbide. This allows them to flood the market with “cheaper alternatives” to products like Whiteside, Fredia, CMT, et al. Selling as a set provides the illusion of a great deal but in reality sells bits that a beginning router user may never use.

My advice: buy quality bits for the project at hand. Buy the best you can and only cry once.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sam, it looks like you got a lot of good information and are headed in the right direction. One other thing to consider is what I call the range of work that the bit can do. For example. when you say different sizes for chamfer bits, if you mean different angles (45 degree, 22.5 degree, etc) then I understand up to to 4 different sizes. However, if you mean up to 4 sizes of 45 degree chamfer bits for different cutting heights, that may be more than you need. For example, I have a Whiteside 45 degree 1 1/16" cutting height that I'm currently using to cut some 1/2 inch plywood (which, of course is less than 1/2 inch) and it's doing an excellent job. I don't need any other size. If I was working with lumber thicker than 1" it would probably be for a larger build and I'd use my table saw to cut it. The reason I don't use my table saw more often for 45 degree cuts is that it's a pain to adjust to exactly 45 degrees even using a digital gage. It's a contractor's saw and a bit finicky. Please note, this is just my opinion based on my experience. Other people may feel differently. Bottom line, as with any tool, you'll learn as you use it and make future decisions based on your own experience.
Hi Barry,

Great point on sizes. So given the types of bits I need what size should I go for in the 1/2" shank variety. How many sizes of round over do I really need?.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One thing I did notice, the Neiko set is not made in China, they're manifactured in Japan. Is this a sign of better quality?.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts