Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having been absent for a relatively short time, it looks to me that there are very few members currently posting compared to what it was with the old format. Is this just my imagination?
Previously the number and names of members logged in at any one time was shown, also the number of non-members viewing, is this information still available?

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,229 Posts
I know it is mostly cosmetic, but I don't like the new look and feel of the forum. Which is strange because I'm a graphic designer by nature and should embrace the updated version. At any rate, the forum seems to have lost its luster, and while I check in everyday, I haven't been commenting much.

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
with youtube it much easier to find a answer than it is to join a forum than it was.
Indeed, I find it very easily to find answers on youtube. But not easy at all to find an answer that I trust. I saw one "expert" the other day, who called a miter saw a chop saw, and screws bolts.

Reactions: jw2170 and Marco

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
I know it is mostly cosmetic, but I don't like the new look and feel of the forum. Which is strange because I'm a graphic designer by nature and should embrace the updated version. At any rate, the forum seems to have lost its luster, and while I check in everyday, I haven't been commenting much.
I don't care for it either, much easier to do a lot of things on the old forum, that are hard to do now, or complicated.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I don't use youtube except to work on my old truck. Anytime I've looked at a youtube post it's someone who interprets woodworking their way and is half correct..

Many need to stop with the video camera...

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Having been absent for a relatively short time, it looks to me that there are very few members currently posting compared to what it was with the old format. Is this just my imagination?
Previously the number and names of members logged in at any one time was shown, also the number of non-members viewing, is this information still available?
Harry, on the banners far right click on the 3 vertical dots. Go down and click "Members". Then click "Online Members". It will show you members online and visitors online........ when I clicked it listed 6 members and 349 guests

·
Registered
Rick
17,551 Posts
I find it the same way unfortunately. Having an extremely tough time getting used to it at best , and will never find it as athletically pleasing as the Classic Menu that I loved to use .
Doesn’t help that Stick, Herb and Dan are no longer here with us either . Feels like my families broken up .
Don’t think I’ve had one person take a shot at me for not insulating my garage since their departure.
Just not feeling the love lol

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Harry, on the banners far right click on the 3 vertical dots. Go down and click "Members". Then click "Online Members". It will show you members online and visitors online........ when I clicked it listed 6 members and 349 guests
Thank you Marco. I know that it's only 4.30pm here in Western Australia but in the past there were always several members on the forum at all hours and LOTS of lurkers, just now I'm the only member. I'm pleased that I'm not alone in thinking that the forum is now uninviting and I find it far easier to access bank accounts. It would be a great pity if within a year or two the forum would fade away. I wonder why the format was changed. There is truth in the saying "if it aint broke, don't fix it"

Reactions: Marco

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There appears to be very few "Premium" members, this must mean that the majority of members don't get enough pleasure from the forum to be worth paying an annual fee. That's really sad, I paid because over many years I derived a great deal of pleasure by visiting the forum every day and learning many things as well as making many projects, photographing each step and posting the results.

·
Premium Member
Frank
357 Posts
Harry,

I agree with you. I also opted to pay for the subscription, but have been disappointed in the new format. I am now reading what I thought was a new thread only to see that is was started several years ago, I also miss comments from the “old timers”.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I too Frank was surprised to see posts going back several years. I'm sure that the new format cost heaps of money and I have no doubt that whoever wrote it knows his/her way around computers but I doubt that he/she had experience with forums used by woodworkers as distinct ones for computer nerds.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just attempted to edit the above post and looked up the instructions which said click on the three dots at top right, doing this brought the drop down menu as shown in the screen shot!
Text Line Font Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Reminds me of what Microsoft did to Office. The change was so dramatic that you almost had to relearn the program. Everything was somewhere else or renamed, menus were different and it was a nightmare for casual users and many professionals lost time and productivity trying to catch up. Change isn't always a good thing. But you're right, it feels foreign. Like going home and finding the house painted a different color, rooms added or removed, the furniture all replaced or rearranged....you get the idea. How did I know it was the neighbors house....... but seriously, it's not the same by far. It even seems a group of different people are here with a few of the ole timers.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts