Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it. Thought too that lithium batteries were still catching fire, they fixed that yet?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
What is the towing capacity of a battery vehicle? Hard to pull a boat or RV, isn't it? FWIW, we took our son and his family to DQ for a cheap lunch- they wanted to go. Had to pay cash as the computer system was down. I told the manager that will be a problem with the computerized "self-drive" cars. Going down the interstate and the computer crashes. Then the car crashes! A driver might not have time to react to prevent a crash.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Sometime it will come to be in the future, not in my life time I hope. They will run out of Cobalt, Lithium and nickel before too long and have to figure out something else, it will be like all other electronics ,they will be obsolete every couple of years.

Herb

·
Registered
18,989 Posts
Sometime it will come to be in the future, not in my life time I hope. They will run out of Cobalt, Lithium and nickel before too long and have to figure out something else, it will be like all other electronics ,they will be obsolete every couple of years.

Herb
I suspect the car makers are holding their breath for that day. Planned obsolence they can blame on someone else.

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
What is the towing capacity of a battery vehicle? Hard to pull a boat or RV, isn't it? FWIW, we took our son and his family to DQ for a cheap lunch- they wanted to go. Had to pay cash as the computer system was down. I told the manager that will be a problem with the computerized "self-drive" cars. Going down the interstate and the computer crashes. Then the car crashes! A driver might not have time to react to prevent a crash.
I’m just waiting for the day when I hear this on CNN.

Breaking News :
Multi car pile up on interstate 95 as hackers took control of vehicles

·
Retired Moderator
16,386 Posts
The batteries still have to be charged. Current electrical production can't handle massive increases in electric cars nor can power grids handle the extra loads. This is like building a Mars colony without having a way to get to Mars. Not entirely a useless endeavor but it would make more sense to solve the preliminary issues first.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
True story! Some friends recently had a house party. One of their guests brought his electric car, and drove it down their crazy steep paved driveway. Silly thing didn't have enough torque to get back UP the driveway!
Cost him a visit from a tow truck to winch him back up again. He turned in his battery on wheels and bought a 4x4 SUV. :)

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Heh...another true anecdote. Our widow neighbour came over for dinner a couple of months ago, and for reasons best known only to her, drove up our somewhat (less) steepish driveway.
After dinner,and already getting dark, said neighbour says goodby and heads out to her car, a hybrid with all the bells and whistles.
Wifey is watching her and suddenly realizes that this person is going to back down our 'S' curved driveway, with a steep dropoff on the East side. She yells out to me to get my butt out there and stop her before she rolls her new car.
Sure enough, instead of using the senses she was born with, she's trying to back down using only her rear view camera and monitor...and heading straight for the drop-off!
I ran down the driveway like a crazy person and stopped her in time; she literally couldn't figure out how to use her wing mirror and common sense.
(same person backed into another neighbour's car...using the aforementioned rear-view camera and monitor....twice.)

Pic of driveway in daylight, during retaining wall installation in 2012:

Attachments

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hope I'm still capable of driving in 2030. Amazing difference in the new batteries and the old style we used in USN weapons in the 60'S. Less likely to explode when charging too. Bad when a $5000 silver cell battery (62 technology & prices) would blow up and make one heck of a mess in the charging compartment.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Next year Tesla is scheduled to come out with a long haul semi https://www.tesla.com/semi.

If only a. they would come out with a minivan that could be modified for me, b. I could afford it and c. the electricity could be generated without coal or other fossil fuels.

The big issue remains how is the electricity generated!

·
Retired Moderator
16,386 Posts
Quite true Tom. There is no real gain with out clean power generation. At present there are no generation methods that don't have serious consequences. Most so called green energy isn't when you add up all the pollution caused in the manufacturing processes plus it is still being subsidized. Large scale solar and hydro electric require large land base losses although dams at least create lakes which have secondary value. I think a lot of people are coming to the conclusion that windmills aren't a good idea. Nuclear has a waste disposal issue although it requires the smallest land base and is the cleanest.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
The big issue remains how is the electricity generated!
I would think wind, water, and solar. However making solar panels creates some nasty waste, which the liberals always just gloss over. Making batteries does also.

Then there is the problem of charging stations. There need to be heaps more before electric cars even start to get practical.

I see an ad on TV where they are making a big deal from algae. Not a new idea by far, remember reading about it many years ago. But no one ever really got on it, because we had so much oil. I believe this is a viable solution, but it won't be happening tomorrow.

My personal favorite is a steam hybrid. A small steam engine, driving a generator, and charging on-board batteries, which then power a motor (or motors). With the steam engine set for one speed, no need for controls for it, and a steam engine boiler can produce almost zero emissions, depending on the fuel, I believe even zero emissions in a few instances, but not 100% certain on that - been a long time since I researched this. They actually had small house power units of this type, around 1900 or so. Single speed steam engine, literally just turn the fuel on, strike a match, and viola, set until the fuel ran out, and the fuel lasted a good while at a set burn.

Most people think steam power is a thing of the past. No entirely. Nuclear submarines are actually steam powered. A lot of manufacturing companies that use steam in their manufacturing processes use excess steam to power steam engines, to produce electricity for their plants. Popcorn is popped by moisture inside turning to steam. There are still steam train engines in use all over the world. Not too many years ago it was estimated that 50% of small ocean freighters were powered by steam.

And, last but not least, is a prime example of steam being used today.
https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/8ox1Cb9uoy8

Reactions: kp91

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
That would be pretty wild if we went full circle Joat . Can’t see steam making a come back , but in senses , it’s being used as we speak

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Bill Lear had a steam car but it went over like a lead balloon. Ran with an unknown substance called Learium. Chrysler had the turbine car. A friend retired from Chrysler and I asked him what happened to them. They were too expensive and wound up powering military tanks. I just got back from Lancaster Pennsylvania which has the largest population of Amish in the country. They use horses! The only problem is the exhaust emissions on the road. But it can be used a fertilizer. State law requires they have brake lights and turn signals on their buggies and wagons. They are powered by a car battery which is charged by solar panels on their barns! Makes you wonder about solar power, doesn't it?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts

Herb
Herb, I bet in 3 or 4 years Lithium batteries will be a long gone. Companies are putting a lot of money behind making batteries better and better.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
There was a news blurb on TV about hydrogen powered vehicles. Along with this, a fire chief said if so, make sure that you have good hospitals with a good burn unit. Remember the Hindenburg airship?

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
That would be pretty wild if we went full circle Joat . Can’t see steam making a come back , but in senses , it’s being used as we speak
Maybe not steam, but I still have high hopes. As a direct power, no, I don't see steam vehicles coming back - except for hobby builders, steam boaters mostly, it is loads of fun. That always seems to be the route the auto companies take when they experiment. I still think a steam hybrid, with a single speed steam engine driving a generator, would work - but have never read of any of the auto companies trying that. Changing the RPMs of a steam engine is a lot more complex then doing so with a gas engine. But running a steam engine at a steady speed, with no speed changes, is not complex.

But we already have come full circle, there were electric cars and trucks in use around 1900, now they're giving them another shot.

Reactions: harrysin

·
Registered
18,989 Posts
I have a Camry Hybrid that I really like. On the road, it is very quiet, so conversation goes better. But it is clearly not an electric vehicle since its primary generator is gas powered. Mileage will never offset the cost. However, with my hearing loss, an ordinary gas powered car drowns out my wife's soft voice.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts