Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just fitted a "MLCS PowerLift" to my "RBI RouterTable" with a minimum of drilling and cutting of the all-metal router table. The construction took about 4 hours from start to finish, and looks like it always was part of the router table.

Without touching the router motor, I can adjust the position of the router bit in two (2) dimensions, by either turning a handle for the Horizontal position, or using the installed MLCS PowerLift for Vertical positioning. On a RBI RouterTable, the router can also be positioned either horizontally, vertically, or at any angle from 0 to 90 degrees.

I have 2 other (Rockler) router table setups, and a MLCS Horizontal table, but prefer to use the RBI. It is a great "Made in the USA" router table, and it's too bad it is no longer made.

I hope the attached pictures give a good idea of the new construction. The first picture shows all the parts attached.

Mark

Attachments

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
3 replies in one

Kerry,
Thanks for looking. I looked at pictures of your generous shop and the quality of your work and you are definitely a more dedicated craftsman than I am.

Bob,
You noticed a good point between the RBI and a regular plate router table.

The RBI router inserts in the center are for the 1/4 inch thick steel table, and are removable and the opening can be as large as 3 inches. The 1/4 inch thick sliding router plate of the PowerLift is just below that insert, and is lined up with that opening. The loss of depth has not been a problem. I did cut the router table insert (as shown) to use my 3/4 inch and 1-1/2 inch bits. (I'm not a big fan of large router bits.) Originally the opening was only 1/4 wide for a straight carbide bit. I can create as many custom inserts as I need using a pin router.

Harry,
You are right! The setup is definitely heavy to lift.

I have gas lifts on one of my Rockler table tops which is hinged.
I will definitely find a lift solution for this table.

I appreciate all your comments.
Thanks.
Mark

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The ShopCenter router table is a ringer for the RBI Hawk

Hi Mark
At one time you could get a jig from OakPark that will do all the same as the ShopCenter Tilting Router Table (see above ) and your table...
===
Bob,

The ShopCenter must have been sold before RBI built theirs, as the router table parts look identical, even down to the hinges, dial, and knobs. I had not seen one.
The "45 degree dado joint" as shown in your "Router Workshop: angled dados" reference is also shown in the RBI Hawk Router Table Guide as one of the joints.
http://legacy.woodshopdemos.com/cfw3.h1.jpg
Sounds like the same people.

Thanks for the information.
Mark

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I figured why the Routershop video won't work

Hi Mark
The woodworking link has been up and down for weeks..
You can slip over to the
Routerworkshop.net
They have some great video(s) with the miter jig..
===
Bob,
I don't think I can view things on Routershop.net
When I retired in 2001, I gave up 18 years of professional experience using Microsoft operating systems, and went 100% to the Apple system.
Macs to me have the best graphics and apps in the world, but not everyone is willing to, or can afford to find that out.
The Routershop folks are apparently happy members of the PC club.
Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.