Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, jumped right into making yet another sign. I found this design going around Facebook, between one coonass and another. :wink: Thought, "hmm, this would make a neat sign!!" So yesterday, I began...

1st pic is printed from my Facebook. 2nd, I enlarged it to use, to trace the coonass and his bounty. I didn't use the lettering, I found my own font that is easier to trace and route. Same font I used on my "Gone Fishin'" sign. 3rd pic is my coonass and his bounty, cut out on a piece of 1/8th thick oak, then colored by colored pencils (that was a first!). 4th pic is the jig I made to route out a 1/16th deep impression, in my sign, that the coonass will lay in. The 5th is all that thrown together, just to see how it might look.

This was by far, my most intricate scrolling job yet. I totally enjoyed it, except for some reason, I kept breaking blades. I don't think I was going to fast, or forcing any turns. I went through four blades. And most of them broke while I was sitting idle, between cuts. I think my scroll saw (Porter Cable) could be to blame. I know Porter Cable and Hitachi are probably similar quality, tit for tat, but I had an Hitachi scroll saw, and I find it was a MUCH better saw, then this PC saw. I don't like the way the blade is held in and I just don't like much of it at all, compared to the Hitachi. I really wanted another one, but they no longer make scroll saws.

Anyways.... Ill post more pics as I go along! On my way to the shop now!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Great sign Lee. I enjoy seeing what others are doing and how they do it.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
nice job Lee...

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! But I'll have to put the new sign on hold till after Easter! I printed the letters to small. When I routed the letters they began to run into each other. Even using 1/4" bit! I had a felling...

·
Premium Member
19,028 Posts
Thanks guys! But I'll have to put the new sign on hold till after Easter! I printed the letters to small. When I routed the letters they began to run into each other. Even using 1/4" bit! I had a felling...
Thanks for the heads up on spacing. I never would have though of that until I messed it up.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still haven't gotten back to this sign, as I've been helping my Son build an outside the house, utility room (houses washer, dryer and hot water heater). But we should finish that this weekend. Back to this sign, next!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts