Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few surface rust spots under the lids of our kitchen tidy bins were being removed by yours truly when I put too much force on a spot in the corner & had my grinder wrenched from my hand & it flew back & hit me in the chest. It left a bruise the size of a softball & was bouncing around with me trying to grab it instead of pulling the power cord plug. The 4 inch wire brush is what struck me & it finally wound itself to a stop when it got tangled up in my sweat pants left leg & started smoking.
I wanted to get the rust off & a coat of primer on the bins before my darling wife came home from shopping so I was rushing the job & not thinking clearly otherwise I would have clamped the lid to the small table (same height as my chair) I was using as a bench & held the grinder with both hands. I believe if I had been hit in the head & knocked out I could have been set on fire or electrocuted or both so it's a hard way to find there is no breaker on my shop circuit. I wasn't gonna mention this to anyone but somebody might gain something from it,like hold an angle grinder with. both hands Best wishes, James. jj777746:|

·
Registered
303 Posts
James,

They make grinders with paddle switches. It would have prevented this accident. I learned about these from a lathe demonstration where the user had a cutter wheel on the grinder with a standard slide switch. He showed pictures pictures of the damage done to face and body. With a paddle switch it turns off once realeased. I still do not have the paddle type switch, but think about this man every time I turn my grinder on. Good to hear that it did not do as much damage as it could.

Frank

·
Registered
292 Posts
Tkx for the headsup....sorry for ur mishap...hope all turns out well.....guess sumtimes we have or need to experience them to enjoy our successes....and then again I don't believe I said that..well anyways hope the bruises heal quickly...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
dam James...
sorry to hear this...
would an ROS be a better choice ot do it by hanf w/ a wire brush and a rust solvent???
get better quick...

·
Registered
218 Posts
James--did I read that correctly??

there is no breaker on my shop circuit

do you have a death wish?
Your life insurance paid?

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
dam James...
sorry to hear this...
would an ROS be a better choice ot do it by hanf w/ a wire brush and a rust solvent???
get better quick...
It isn't a case of wise after the event when I say that I do exactly as Stick has posted, It's so quick and effective.

Attachments

·
Registered
Paul
1,835 Posts
I did a very similar thing, James. I was using one under a car and it grabbed my t-shirt. I had to rip my t-shirt to get the thing away from me but not until after i already ground my stomach. It wasn't very serious (kinda like a knee scrape when you're a kid) but it took quite a while for the scar to go away. I have a greater respect for those things now that I've seen how fast they can eat a t-shirt!

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
Wow, James! Sure glad it wasn't worse.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
944 Posts
James, I'm glad you're OK. Several years ago I was working on my '57 Chevy restauration and was using air tools. I was removing rust around the windshield opening and using an air drill. I switched to a die grinder and forgot to put my goggles back on !!!! well it took a fraction of a second when I pressed the trigger a piece of the wire brush hit me right in the eye. Worst thing is I was alone at the shop on a Saturday morning. What an ordeal that was, 2 ER rooms later I was told that had it gone 1mm deeper, I would have lost the use of that eye. I was a vigilent guy with eye safety and a split second of distraction made me forget to put the goggles back on. I am way more vigilent now. I got lucky !

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
To say you should have done things differently isn't helpful...I bet there isn't anyone here who hasn't done exactly what you did (minus the bad stuff happening).
As everyone has already said, really glad the injuries were relatively minor, and believe me, I'm paying attention!. No more one handed grinding for this dude.
Thanks for the heads up; I needed that.
Interesting about the deadman switch. I've never seen that on angle grinders and now I'm wondering why not?
Here's to your quick recovery, James.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A few surface rust spots under the lids of our kitchen tidy bins were being removed by yours truly when I put too much force on a spot in the corner & had my grinder wrenched from my hand & it flew back & hit me in the chest. It left a bruise the size of a softball & was bouncing around with me trying to grab it instead of pulling the power cord plug. The 4 inch wire brush is what struck me & it finally wound itself to a stop when it got tangled up in my sweat pants left leg & started smoking.
I wanted to get the rust off & a coat of primer on the bins before my darling wife came home from shopping so I was rushing the job & not thinking clearly otherwise I would have clamped the lid to the small table (same height as my chair) I was using as a bench & held the grinder with both hands. I believe if I had been hit in the head & knocked out I could have been set on fire or electrocuted or both so it's a hard way to find there is no breaker on my shop circuit. I wasn't gonna mention this to anyone but somebody might gain something from it,like hold an angle grinder with. both hands Best wishes, James. jj777746:|
The one thing I forgot to mention was that I had removed my glasses before putting my goggles on. I don't know what it was that hit my left cheek bone but it sent my goggles flying, I think it was the other end of the grinder? Thanks everyone for kind remarks & advise. I will be using a wire brush & solvent next time for rust removal. All the best, James jj777746

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,167 Posts
Thankfully James there wasn’t worse damage to yourself. When the electrician coming?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Ross.My electrician is so busy he cant get here until next Tuesday. Mrs.JJ777746 called him as soon as I informed her about the no breaker situation in the shop/garage.. James

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
To say you should have done things differently isn't helpful...I bet there isn't anyone here who hasn't done exactly what you did (minus the bad stuff happening).
As everyone has already said, really glad the injuries were relatively minor, and believe me, I'm paying attention!. No more one handed grinding for this dude.
Thanks for the heads up; I needed that.
Interesting about the deadman switch. I've never seen that on angle grinders and now I'm wondering why not?
Here's to your quick recovery, James.
I do not agree with the first line of your post, the whole idea of the posts by Stick and myself were to show readers that there is a better and safer way to remove rust and hopefully save readers from injuries in the future.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Words Fail Me

I do not agree with the first line of your post, the whole idea of the posts by Stick and myself were to show readers that there is a better and safer way to remove rust and hopefully save readers from injuries in the future.
And how is that different from what I said? Perhaps 'not helpful' could be misinterpreted, and if so I apologize for my misleading thought. Of course James's bringing up the topic is extremely helpful; your comment, Harry, was also helpful.
My takeaway from James's potentially very serious accident was 'don't use an angle grinder one-handed or without appropriate safety gear'; not 'don't use an angle grinder for wire brushing'. Perhaps using a cup style rather than a wheel would also be a safer approach(?).
I haven't forgotten your use of the word "stupid" when referring to Imperial measurement, and by implication those of us who prefer it... (I don't recall an apology at the time).

·
Registered
6,859 Posts

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
James; I wanted to clarify what I meant (that Harry objected to).
You said "I wasn't gonna mention this to anyone but somebody might gain something from it..."
What I was trying to say, and stated rather clumsily, was that you needn't be even a little embarrassed by (telling us about) doing something that looked relatively harmless, and finding out that it wasn't.
You know the old parable about 'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone'!
Again, thanks for the wake-up call.

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
No implication was intended, I simply said that the IMPERIAL system is stupid, and it is! The fact that you and ME grew up with the Imperial system was simply a case of "what you've never seen you never miss" Two years after arriving in Australia we changed over to the METRIC system and at the beginning it was difficulty in understanding it but as soon as it "clicked" I realised how simple it is. I notice more and more that America is slowly changing without legislation.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I'll give up my imperial measuring tools when they pry them from my cold, dead, hands.

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
I don't blame you Theo, I still have and use both Imperial and metric micrometers, dial and electronic calipers, drill bits etc and they all are used when the job in hand requires them.

Reactions: Danman1957
1 - 20 of 35 Posts