Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been threatening to build a much bigger router than my old one for years. I got laid off right before Christmas, so this was the perfect opportunity. I start a new job Monday the 14th so I'm glad I got as far as I have. It's down to assembly mostly now. I designed this one in Solidworks. I'm using a 2.2kw water-cooled ER20 spindle and a Gecko G540 to drive it with twin 340 oz NEMA 23's on the Y, and 300 oz motors on X and Z. THK 20mm rails on Y and 15mm Hiwins on the X and Z. I added two dsub9's to the back of the control box, one for VFD and one for estop and limits. The 110vac output is relay-triggered to turn on my spindle water pump. I figured I'd build two identical control boxes and sell one - all it will need is the G540.

Travel is 48.5 x 33 x 6.5. I used my junky old little router to center drill hole positions for all of my plates and then hand-drilled and tapped everything. I'm glad that part is done. I hope to have it running in a month or so. Now that I'm going back to work (CNC programmer/mechanical designer), I'll have to slow down a bit. I'm also taking a couple classes, so time will become constrained.

Furniture Chair Outdoor furniture Rectangle Table
Art Font Wood Triangle Flooring
Light Wood Gas Composite material Engineering
Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design Grey
Wood Automotive design Flooring Floor Gas
Electrical wiring Computer hardware Gas Cable Electrical supply
Kitchen appliance Wood Home appliance Kitchen Audio equipment

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
Looks like you are seeing some progress. That should be a good heavy machine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts