Router Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is getting silly, I like making treasure chests, but now i've made a couple owl boxes people are asking for more animal shapes (hey, the customer is always right, right?). This one is for my daughter in law. She keeps the real things so I had a tough act to follow.
She's seen pics but wont get the box till xmas.

Made with rosewood centre between 2 pieces of zebrano. I planned the white zebrano to be at the bottom for the legs, and it worked quite well.

The drawer goes all the way through, just because a handle would have looked out of place on the side of the shape. By the time I had the drawer apart and rebuilt, I had to add the beech filler strip in the middle to bring it back to the full width.

The eyes are cut down disposable contact lens cases, painted black.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mike
3,941 Posts
Looks great Bob and it does look like a guinea pig.

·
Registered
21,707 Posts
That's a cutie Bob. I can see grand daughters being deliighted on Christmas morning with this and some sparkly trinket inside. I like the two tone look as well. A bunny would require carving away the space between ears, and it would also be very cute.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Apparently, I screwed up the finish, according to a few purists I know.
I normally use wipe on poly because I like glossy. But this time I was asked to do the "wet look" thing.
So i sanded to 320, then applied some home made paste wax I had been given by one of the said purists. It was hard wax and took a lot of polishing to get it to where it is. But it seems I should have used a base coat of shellac first. I dont have shellac. Oh well. But the new owner is happy, so I'm happy.

Tom... I am really NOT getting into carving figures. Its not what I want to do. A friend is pestering me to make a parrot, but theres not a straight surface on one of those. 2D or nothing, thats my motto.

·
Registered
21,707 Posts
Tom... I am really NOT getting into carving figures. Its not what I want to do. A friend is pestering me to make a parrot, but theres not a straight surface on one of those. 2D or nothing, thats my motto.
Learning to just say no to requests can be the difference between a happy vs unhappy retirement...:nono:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah you could.
I just glue some layers together, draw a freehand shape on the side of it, and cut. I dont have the skills to make perfect boxes like you do, but I can just cut and sand the block untill it looks good. The secret for me is to not get too involved in measurements. I dont use a tape or ruler in any stage of any of my bandsaw boxes.Then the box just evolves as I work, often with things being scrapped or modified as I go.

·
Registered
Mike
3,941 Posts
Learning to just say no to requests can be the difference between a happy vs unhappy retirement...:nono:
It's hard to say no when they can't find anyone else that will take on their project. That's how you end up with projects like head shaped bookcases and similar projects. Then they keep you covered up with other projects you are not really interested in doing. You are always thinking about the projects you want to work on and are putting off to make these people happy.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you enjoy, then say yes.
If you dont, then say no.

I'm often asked to do / make things that have no appeal to me at all.
My standard answer is " I'm not good enough".
Works every time, because they dont want something made badly, and dont pester you again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.