Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some 2+ years ago I built a book nook for the family of a good friend which remains in use and is roundly appreciated by the neighborhood. So, when the son asked if I could build another one for his friend, I reluctantly agreed. "Reluctantly", because I don't like to build a 2nd copy of any project and they wanted a duplicate. The result appears below and I'm certain that many will instantly recognize the tow "Uh ohs" very quickly and I'm not referring to the off kilter photos. :nerd:

The interesting part was the cost of the shingles which in the PNW is out of sight. I finally found 2 partial "repair" bundles on sale hence the patch work roof. A bundle of 1st cut cedars runs 90+$ locally. Otherwise, the materials cost came in close to my original estimate of $100.

FYI, I loaded those photos twice with different orientations from my notebook and both times they came out leaning to the left.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,703 Posts
I looked into this some time ago and considered building one for the school bus stop at the end of our street. The idea is to find books cheap and put them in. Some kids will swap them out, others just take them, so you need to find a source of cheap, plentiful kids books. I vaguely recall that occasionally, people add a bench, but I notice that for the younger kids, the parents don't let the kids stick around, so I didn't make one. Nice item.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
nice looking library..
no worries on the picture orientation...
we'll just look at them laying down....

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the comments. Hopefully this one will be well used as the current one still is.
@DesertRatTom
Sorry to hear that the parents won't let the kids stick around long enough to use it. Fortunately my first one is in a neighborhood where one and all are friendly and outside their homes a lot. Hopefully the second will be the same.
@Stick486

Well, perhaps you can find a good book there for the lay down and take a nap.:grin:

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Paul.

I'm not responsible for populating the library, but I'll pass on your recommendations for sources on the books. Would be sad to see it filled with videos and games.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.