Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my grandson's birthday I made him a box out of tiger maple and ziricote wood. The finishing is my regular stuff - Zar oil base poly mixed 50/50 with paint thinner mineral spirits. This is applied with the blue paper shop towels.

Since the top is made of ziricote, it is an oily wood. I wipe it down with denatured alcohol and applied shellac. Waited 8 hours and applied another coat. Then applied several coats of the poly / mineral spirit finish.

The top pivots on 1/8" brass rods that are about 1 1/2" long.

Several folks have asked if the top was walnut that I did something funky with. Nope! Since the back and front are different lengths boards it was a tad hard to get the box square. I don't think I'll make any more with this design. When my wife first saw it she said I should make a lot of them.

I got the ziricote from a local veneer company even though the wood is solid and not veneer. The board was 2" thick and 12" wide by about 4' long for $200.00.

Oh, the top and the splines are all ziricote. First time I had made splines out of the wood.

Malcolm / Kentucky USA

Attachments

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,236 Posts
You are The Master at this, Malcolm. Superb.

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
Malcolm that is one BEAUTIFUL box.

I like the design but I can see where it could more time consuming, but I think well worth the effort.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.