Router Forums banner

Another box - long-leaf maple burl

4K views 23 replies 23 participants last post by  billyjim 
#1 ·
I lady friend asked that I make her a box to put her favorite Bible in. I examined several species of wood before settling on long-leaf maple burl that I had gotten several years ago. The top pivots on two finishing nails (cheap hinges). The finish is my usual stuff - Zar oil-base polyurethane diluted 50/50 with mineral spirits that is applied with the blue paper shop towels that are cut into 1/4s.

I applied 4 or 5 coats - waiting about 8-hours between coats. Then I applied a heavy coat of the same material using a 1" foam brush. I use 400 grit sandpaper on a random orbital sander running at 1/2 speed. I applied the finish to the sandpaper as well. After sanding for 30 seconds on one of the sides, I wiped that piece down with a blue shop towel and rotate the unit to do another side. After 8-hours I started back applying more finish. Probably has 10 coats. I didn't attach the top until after all coats were applied.

I made a jig to indicate where to drill the holes in the sides for the finishing nails to go through. For that I had to experiment.

I will give the lady the box this weekend.

Malcolm / Kentucky USA

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Beautiful, Malcolm....

I can see why she asked you to make the box....

Reactions: Herb Stoops
#14 ·
Beautiful box, Malcolm. Just amazing wood grain with a perfect finish. I've tried using "finishing nail" hinges. Luckily I put the nails in with the lid in the closed position because wide open the lid is out of whack a little. It was just a box for clothespins though, not anywhere near the class of your build.

#19 ·
For the mitered corners, I just put Titebond II glue and left it clamped up for 24 hours to ensure the glue was cured.

As far as working with the wood..as I said a friend used a chainsaw to cut several pieces. I use the jointer that has spiral cutter head to smooth the wood. The pieces that I was working with were probably 2" thick on one edge and 3" thick on the other. I decided which side had the best grain and after flattening that side and an edge to go with it I ran it through the bandsaw to slice off boards. The planer that I used (DeWalt 735) also has a spiral cutter head. Otherwise the wood would have gotten torn badly.

#22 ·
Another great box Malcolm. Great finish as always. I'm sure she will be more than happy with the box.

I hate to think what that whole burl would cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.