Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a few more interesting pieces in the cutoff bin that had been set aside for an unknown reason. Compared to the rest of the project, it took longer to arrange them into what looked like a reasonable pattern than it did to glue up the slab, cut it and form the box. Following sanding to 220 grit the project was given 2 coats of sanding sealer with light sanding between and finished with Briwax.
The results are shown below. Sorry about the sidewise photos

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
outstanding!!!

Reactions: JFPNCM

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you one and all.

Although I had been warned about how fast the sanding sealer would dry it was surprising. I look onward to working with it in the future as it really enhanced the wood.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Jon you have a good scrap bin to dig in for project wood.

Nice box.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Neat wood pattern. How about some detail on the hinge - especially the measurements for the pins.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Always nice to see a beautiful project made from material that would otherwise be discarded.

Reactions: JFPNCM

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Neat wood pattern. How about some detail on the hinge - especially the measurements for the pins.
Thanks John.
The pins were cut from a piece of 1/8” brass rod that was left over from the rails on a lazy susan project. The holes were drilled at 9/32” and ran 1” into the lid. A lite tap on a nail set seated the pins in the lid for keeping.

Once I was happy with the fit of the lid I turned the box upside down on it and set two holding blocks in place with double sided tape. The box was then turned on edge in the DP and the holes for the hinges were drilled through the box side and the lid at one go. With the pens in place I then cut the two supports for the leading edge to maintain the fit. The next step was to pull the pins and fit the bottom of the box.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Wish you would have had some pics of that.

Make another one with pics. lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts