Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta make the grandson something for when we go see him next month. Looking at a truck he can use and abuse. Too young for a train yet - that's coming down the road.

If I cut all the parts out - can I paint them before I glue and clamp them all together? Or do I have to glue the raw wood (probably maple) parts together first and hope the paint job doesn't look too awful bad? Or, instead of paint, I could just assemble it and use the 50-50 glue mix for a finish.

HJ

·
Super Moderator
John
6,835 Posts
you never get a good adhesion gluing painted products together,glue stick to the paint does not stick to the wood.

·
Registered
Theo
6,913 Posts
If I cut all the parts out - can I paint them before I glue and clamp them all together? Or do I have to glue the raw (probably maple) parts together first and hope the paint job doesn't look too awful bad? Or, instead of paint, I could just assemble it and use the 50-50 glue mix for a finish.
Well, you could actually paint them first. IF you taped off the areas to be glued, so you're gluing raw wood. Or, you could glue them, then tape off the areas you want different colors, and that should work. Or, you could just use the 50/50 glue mix - I have found that magic markers work well on that, so you could color it that way, again with taping. OR, you could leave the wood unfinished, and let him decorate it himself, if he so desires. Surprised me a bit, my grandson has left his monster truck bank undecorated, especially since the kid is pretty darn talented for just turning 7. Or, you could glue it together, then paint it all the same color - or camoflague it. The possibilities are many, and he will probably like it regardless of how you do it.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's only 18 months old so I gotta give him a finished product. But this will give me someting to think about.

Thanx

HJ

Reactions: MT Stringer

·
Premium Member
19,237 Posts
Glue the thing together first. Select a base color, say yellow, and paint the whole finished truck that color, then tape off anything you want to paint a different color. Cover the whole thing with glossy finish.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
John I can also suggest using SamaN stains. They are water based so they would have no effect on the adhesion of the glue over layer and could also probably be mixed with the glue if desired. Best stains I have ever used by far. SamaN - Water-based stain - Products - [SamaN Canada] Look at the premixed stains and then the 128 color chart.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you're saying a water based stain will not affect the glue. What about water based paint?

HJ

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glue the thing together first. Select a base color, say yellow, and paint the whole finished truck that color, then tape off anything you want to paint a different color. Cover the whole thing with glossy finish.

That sounds like the most practical. It's not like this is gonna be a masterpiece to display. It's for a kid to use and abuse.

HJ

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
John I wouldn't think water based paint mixed with glue would be a problem as far as adhesion goes. The paint itself has some adhesive properties. However dried paint would if you glued over it and I don't think the paint will penetrate like the glue does so the paint's bond would be inferior by comparison.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts