Router Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The candle shop wanted more designs to help sell their candles so I came up with this one.
Approximately 7.5" wide at 9.75 high.
Made one set and it sold with 4 of the votive candles in the first day. Now they want at least
6 more sets before Thanksgiving when they really start to get busy.
This is going to get real interesting. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts
Might want to try something along these lines.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Nice and simple is always best. Great ideas!!

Just a hint: When it becomes a business with time deadlines, it's not as much fun.

·
Registered
22,199 Posts
All of those are great. Got me thinking about other holidays, birthdays, annivesaries, romantic moods. You might do an image search for candle holders, centerpieces, etc., and then search for images around birthdays, anniversaries romantic, holidays. You can get a head start so they have a few months of selling time before the stuff is dated. Oh, I forgot about weddings, romance to the max and happen all year. Honeymoon moons for example, light up the romance.

I think this would appeal to other candle shops and gift shops that sell candles. There's a small retirement business if you keep it local, say 50-100 miles. This could finance a CNC purchase as well so you can add words, poems, sayings, platitudes to your flat pieces.

Now I think of it, how about bible quotes for religions book stores, same kinds of things apply but with a spiritual theme. And patriotic themes for the 4th, or even military service emblem plaques?

I do like thinking of business stuff, especially stuff from which you can make a little extra retirement money.

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts
Now I think of it, how about bible quotes for religions book stores, .
I like this one.
Exodus 8:2
And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs:

Reactions: subtleaccents

·
Registered
56 Posts
The candle shop wanted more designs to help sell their candles so I came up with this one.
Approximately 7.5" wide at 9.75 high.
Made one set and it sold with 4 of the votive candles in the first day. Now they want at least
6 more sets before Thanksgiving when they really start to get busy.
This is going to get real interesting. LOL
Bootiful!

·
Registered
22,199 Posts
I like this one.
Exodus 8:2
And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs:
This might go over particularly well in Florida, which seems to be afflicted with a poisionous frog.

"Giant poisonous toads are spreading throughout Florida, and you should probably keep your pets away from them.

Non-native cane toads have started appearing everywhere from the Keys all the way up to Lake Okeechobee, and even Tampa Bay, reports News-Press.

These invasive toads can grow to 10-inches long, and are one of the largest toad species in the world. Florida Fish and Wildlife says that when they feel threatened, the toads excrete a milky poison that oozes from their skin, which can be deadly to animals, especially to anything that tries to eat them (like a dog or cat). They ooze can also irritate the skin and eyes of people. " :surprise:

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts
This might go over particularly well in Florida, which seems to be afflicted with a poisionous frog.
I suppose it is too much to hope that the Burmese Pythons will eat them.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I suppose it is too much to hope that the Burmese Pythons will eat them.
Don't know about Burmese Pythons eating cane toads but almost every reptile in Australia will. Quolls & other carnivorous animals are dying out wherever cane toads are found. They were imported into North Queensland initially to attack sugar cane beetles which were causing cane growers distress,but this was a dismal failure & now can be found in the Northern Territory,North Western Australia,Queensland of course & New South Wales.Our borders it seems,have been well & truly smitten with frogs,or toads anyway.JJ

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts
Don't know about Burmese Pythons eating cane toads but almost every reptile in Australia will. Quolls & other carnivorous animals are dying out wherever cane toads are found. They were imported into North Queensland initially to attack sugar cane beetles which were causing cane growers distress,but this was a dismal failure & now can be found in the Northern Territory,North Western Australia,Queensland of course & New South Wales.Our borders it seems,have been well & truly smitten with frogs,or toads anyway.JJ
I like smoted. Almost every time a foreign species has been introduced it has proved to be a dismal favor,, with very few exceptions. And yet some people still seem to think it will work.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice and simple is always best. Great ideas!!

Just a hint: When it becomes a business with time deadlines, it's not as much fun.
Oh yes, that is so correct. I started doing this for them to help create more sales. Didn't expect
the volume. The biggest time usage goes into the finishing. Having a 48"x96" work space on the CNC
is definitely a help.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All of those are great. Got me thinking about other holidays, birthdays, annivesaries, romantic moods. You might do an image search for candle holders, centerpieces, etc., and then search for images around birthdays, anniversaries romantic, holidays. You can get a head start so they have a few months of selling time before the stuff is dated. Oh, I forgot about weddings, romance to the max and happen all year. Honeymoon moons for example, light up the romance.

I think this would appeal to other candle shops and gift shops that sell candles. There's a small retirement business if you keep it local, say 50-100 miles. This could finance a CNC purchase as well so you can add words, poems, sayings, platitudes to your flat pieces.

Now I think of it, how about bible quotes for religions book stores, same kinds of things apply but with a spiritual theme. And patriotic themes for the 4th, or even military service emblem plaques?

I do like thinking of business stuff, especially stuff from which you can make a little extra retirement money.
I agree, Tom, we have already worked up some designs for St. Patrick's Day, Easter, Valentines Day and 4th of July. Since I already have the 48x96 CNC and a table top unit with 10"x16" work space the only thing left would be to get a rotary 4th axis to increase the ability for more designs.
I started these items to get away from contract cutting. Like you I'm retired so I just wanted to stop handling the heavier sheets of stock. I'm not complaining mind you. I enjoy making these trinkets.

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts
@JOAT

They already have a guy that does the log style holders. They are in disbelief that people aren't buying them.
Maybe they are cheaper on the internet that what this place wants for them.
Good Lord. This guy is charging $4.05 a pop, not including postage. Just how much are those people asking anyway? https://www.etsy.com/listing/246142...56697af773fdb53570450d316385eb9817d:246142605 I don't consider one worth much, but sounds like they are charging way too much. On the other hand, they need to make money too, so that makes me wonder what the other guy is charging for them. Might be good to ask, and maybe give them a better price, which would allow them to reduce their asking price, and they might sell then. No rocket science involved, cut up some tree limbs or saplings, drill a hole in one end, and viola, you've made a candle holder in a minute or less.

Personally if I made some, and got $1 each, I would think I was squatting in tall cotton.

Reactions: subtleaccents

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts
What the heck size should a Forstner bit be to drill holes to fit votive candle holders anyway? Got to thinking I might give making a few candle thingies a shot, so started looking on-line. And got confused. One site said they were 2.5" X 2" and 2.5" tall - that would make one oval, and all I have seen are round. Other sites weren't any more clear on dimensions, or they didn't list them at all. And apparently tea lights are different size and come with a metal holder, rather than glass. Usually I can google things pretty easily, but not this time.
:frown:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What the heck size should a Forstner bit be to drill holes to fit votive candle holders anyway? Got to thinking I might give making a few candle thingies a shot, so started looking on-line. And got confused. One site said they were 2.5" X 2" and 2.5" tall - that would make one oval, and all I have seen are round. Other sites weren't any more clear on dimensions, or they didn't list them at all. And apparently tea lights are different size and come with a metal holder, rather than glass. Usually I can google things pretty easily, but not this time.
:frown:
It's amazing that there are very few standards to the size of the glass holders for tea light and votive candles.
I went into AC Moore and Michael's with my vernier to check their glass holders. They were all different dimensions. For the candle shop I work with I use the dimension of their glass for the pocket. Customers will have to return to buy replacement candles. I guess this will be like most of the current manufacturing companies, making product that you can only buy replacement parts from them.

What a world we live in! LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.