Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, i`ve just bought myself a Trend 1/2" router and i`m ready to learn :D ,i`m a machinist (28 years in the trade) and would like to learn how to make my own toolmakers/machinists tool chests & micrometer boxes etc,it seems that since i bought my first tool cabinets that the quality has diminished and the type and size i would like are`t made by anyone so why not learn something new and make my own.
so it looks like i`ll be posting lots of questions so thanks in advance.

Regards,

Eddie.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Eddie

What size are you looking for ? (machinists tool chests) I have a great link for them if it falls into the size I found, at a GREAT price, I was going to make one or two of them also and I checked in the wood and hardware it would take and it came out that the two I sent off for was 1/3 of the price and they where done when I got them.
Two for less than a 90.oo bucks.

Now for the micrometer boxes etc, it's great fun to make your own with the router you have. :)

Let me know about the size and I will check on it for you.
Also see a snapshot below what they look like,not a great picture but it will give you a small ideal what they look like.

Bj :)

Attachments

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Hello Eddie. A big "across the pond" welcome to the Router Forums. If you were on this side of the pond, I would recommend a "Gershner" tool chest. These are expensive tho, but in my opinion the best made. However I did have two toolmaker friends who made their own. More like a cabinet. Two doors on front, and inside, left half was various size drawers. Right half was custom spaced shelves. Made for a height scribe/gauge, angle plates, etc. They stained them dark walnut. Relly nice. As for the mike boxes, we made ours on a Bridgeport. That was a long time ago. Anyway welcome and good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dr.Zook said:
Hello Eddie. A big "across the pond" welcome to the Router Forums. If you were on this side of the pond, I would recommend a "Gershner" tool chest. These are expensive tho, but in my opinion the best made. However I did have two toolmaker friends who made their own. More like a cabinet. Two doors on front, and inside, left half was various size drawers. Right half was custom spaced shelves. Made for a height scribe/gauge, angle plates, etc. They stained them dark walnut. Relly nice. As for the mike boxes, we made ours on a Bridgeport. That was a long time ago. Anyway welcome and good luck.
Dave,thanks for the big welcome,i`ve seen the Gerstner tool boxes they look good but they sure know how to charge for them,the ones i have are almost the same as one of the Gerstner models,but i`d like to make my own just for the satisfaction of having done it myself (and to justify having bought a router) :D
i`ve already drafted the plans in my cad/cam system and bought the wood (black walnut/ash/red oak) so i guess i`m past the point of no return :eek:
maybe i`ll post some pictures of my progress when i get started.

Regards,

Eddie

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Eddie, please do post pictures of them when you finish them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts