Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My name is Bret, 33, married with a 13 yo step son and a baby on the way, from SW Mich. I am completely new to woodworking, never even took woodshop in high school. I don't even have any friends/relatives who do woodworking.

I've got a Craftsman 26??? (the Bosch made model, just red and says Craftsman) router, RT1000 router table, small table saw, compressor, nail gun and a planer. The planer actually isn't mine, it's on temporary loan from my father-in-law (don't know why he has it, he isn't a woodworker).

Up until this point, I've only been playing with scrap pieces, making joints, small trays, yadda, yadda. I'm looking to probably start out making a combination coffee table/chest (one side has drawers, the other half has a hinged lid) out of pine.

I'm trying to build up the nerve. Two years ago, I built my garage/workshop (24' X 30')from scratch all by my lonesome (well, had help putting up the roof), doors, electrical, everything. This is after having never built anything! It looks great, looks professionally done! So tell me... Why is it I can't get started on a stinking coffe table?? This is my story :p Someday I'll quite researching and start building. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Welcome! We have a lot of helpful people here so let's see if we can get you started on the coffee table.

It sounds like to me you just need some help getting started..... maybe something to keep you focused on getting at the project. So since you are new here I'm offering this deal, you send me say $100, then I start spending the money, say $5 a day..... mean while you get started on the project and when ever you finish you let me know and I send what ever is left of your money back to you...... in fact if you don't finish in the 20 days just send me another hundred and we keep doing this until I'm rich or you get the project done..... hows that sound? I should warn you some of us also kid around a lot.

Ed

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Welcome Bret! Your 26620 router is a great tool. Visit our sponsors to say thanks for supporting our site. Make sure you sign up for the newsletters at www.rockler.com and www.woodcraft.com
Both of these places have a great selection of tools, supplies, plans and wood.
If you visit the Detroit area let me know and I will be happy to give you directions to the local stores.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know what you mean, read, practise a little, look for hours on the internet. There seems like so much to learn, and real wood seems so expensive. Hope you are building a decent supply of odds and ends, many shops have been generous with hobby sizes pieces. Isn't glueing an art also. We have a few guys around here that make beautiful sandwich pieces out of exotic wood and then turn them or make pencil-holder-like pieces out of them. Good luck. Nice pick of father-in-law too!

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Welcome Bret, to the forum. Ed is right, but I think he was serious about the money. :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys,

What's your address, Ed? I'll get that right to ya!! Just wait by the mailbox for it! LOL
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I have actually posted (as I'm sure you know) questions and comments before, but then yesterday I saw the introduction section for the first time. I also lied, I am 31, going to be 32 this weekend. Don't know where I got the 33 from (maybe my alter-ego?).
I have to say that so far I have really been enjoying this forum. I know a lot of times in larger forums, you get a lot of tool snobs (not that that is bad, I just don't appreciate when they discredit me or write me off because I don't have Porter Cable this, or Grizzly that), and you also don't get the personal/friendly feel of a forum like this.
I like the "no question is a dumb question" format- Cuz I've got some pretty dumb.... er... NOT dumb questions :)

(By the way, Dr. Zook, you have my "normal" avatar..... Grrrrrrrrr..... citizen monkey... had to resort to fat midget in leotards....) :)

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Sorry about the avatar Bret, :'( but when I joined the forum, I used one of Mark's that I thought looked a lot like me. Minus a gray beard. :D
With the guys on this forum, there are no dumb questions. Dumb is NOT asking a question. We all started some where and it wasn't at the top. Well maybe ED did. LOL Again-Welcome.

Dave
the "Doctor"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts