Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a local tool store, and they carry both the M12V and also the new Kv12vc(?), it is the combo fixed & plunge...I asked the guy about mounting either to a table and he only recommended the M12V!...I had asked previous post about the hole patterns matching between the two and they do not, M12V has square pattern and the newer has 3 hole rounded pattern...

Is there any reason you can't mount plunge base in router table and leave it there until you would need it elsewhere?...this would work great for me I think, I could use the plunge in my table, and the fixed for freeform hand routing..when the guy said it wouldn't work well, I was taken back...he only recommended the M12V for hanging in a table...any input?????????...

didn't buy either then, waiting for some feedback from the router experts at this site....Dennis

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Hi,

I see a lot of options and questions here so I'll just give you a few thoughts......

I have two router tables currently set up for the newer Hitichi router.... the M12VC version with the fixed base. Both table have router plates to which I mount the fixed base and since they are just flat plates one can use then in the table or as a hand held without mounting/remounting the orginal sub-base (for most appications anyway).

In both cases the plates can be popped out to do adjustments and changing bits and or changing routers. In these cases the main objection to using this type base is that the height adjustments require you to twist the router which then twists the cord... this is over come by doing most of the adjustment with the router out of the table and turning the base. Once in the table only the fine adjustment needs to be made and the cord twisting issue is not an issue.

The plunge base could be used but the major problem here is working against the springs....... if you were to to remove the springs (a common method to solve this issue) then when you want to hand hold the router for plunge operations the springs have to be put back in....

The M12 of course gives you the option of spinning the larger bits better as it has more power. It is also heavier which could be an issue when doing hand held operations and in the selection of a router table. Those are calls you will have to make depending on what things you think you might use it for. And if you get hooked on routers you will be buying a few more over the years as your needs and projects change.

I personal really like the KM12VC and for someone starting out its low price combined with great features makes it a "plus" value. And yes it can be table mounted...

I don't know if I answered any of your questions or if I caused you to have even more but feel free to ask away.

Ed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reible, if I understand then correctly, you use the fixed base in the router table, I suppose that the plates on the 3 bases I have seen have the same hole pattern, so I guess you can mount with anyone...but on the other hand, do you take off the router base to mount it in the table...for me, that is the concern, I would like to use the table mostly for template clean up, I have made some child's potty chairs, and have a nice template from 1/4 hardboard, duplicating several of these now would be easy with a router and pattern/flush trim bit...but there are times I do need to use it freehand....I had a M12V several years ago, but it didn't get much usage, and someone wanted it, so I sold it to them cheap, now I sure could use one...the only problem with the M12V in my book, was switching from table to handheld usage, and the weight, about 11lbs or so I think....I have an Eagle brand router table top, fastened to a old vanity cabinet, works nice, pleenty of storage and I use the top, covered for a 2nd table top....maybe the New Hitachi is the answer to both of my problems...but you use the fixed base in the table correct?....Dennis

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
dtaylor15 said:
Reible, if I understand then correctly, you use the fixed base in the router table, I suppose that the plates on the 3 bases I have seen have the same hole pattern, so I guess you can mount with anyone...but on the other hand, do you take off the router base to mount it in the table...for me, that is the concern, I would like to use the table mostly for template clean up, I have made some child's potty chairs, and have a nice template from 1/4 hardboard, duplicating several of these now would be easy with a router and pattern/flush trim bit...but there are times I do need to use it freehand....I had a M12V several years ago, but it didn't get much usage, and someone wanted it, so I sold it to them cheap, now I sure could use one...the only problem with the M12V in my book, was switching from table to handheld usage, and the weight, about 11lbs or so I think....I have an Eagle brand router table top, fastened to a old vanity cabinet, works nice, pleenty of storage and I use the top, covered for a 2nd table top....maybe the New Hitachi is the answer to both of my problems...but you use the fixed base in the table correct?....Dennis
Hi again,

I have the fixed base from the router attached to a router plate that fits in a table... One of them is from the oak-park people and if you have seen the show you may have noticed that Guys leave the plate on the router for hand held and table operations. What you have is a very large sub-base for your router. You can of course put the orginal sub-base back on as required.

Almost all routers are made to have the sub base removed and the holes reused for table mounting. A good practice is to use the alignment tool that comes in the kit to center the router to the sub-base when ever it put back on... also it is good to align the router to the router plate, this may require extra purchases depending on the equipment you have.

The KM12VC has both bases either of them could be used in the table but I prefer to use the fixed base. If I have need for a hand held router with plunge capabilites it is just a mater of switching bases.... motor off the table fix mounting to the hand held plunge. The plunge mode will work for most operations a fixed base will do plus the added ones that the plunge mode allows.

The issue when using a plunge router in a table is that you are fighting the springs and the weight of the router. As I mentioned the solution can be as simple as removing the springs but they are necessary for hand held operations so that springs on and off operation gets "old" very fast.

The good news is if you do go with the KM12VC you can try it both ways, and if you like the plunge base in the table better then that is the way you can do it.... but do give the fix base in the table a try.

Any clearer now?

Ed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I suppose I was thinking the plunge is better for making adjustments, but without the springs removed you are fighting spring tension...I got my table & plate from Eagle America several years ago, the table has little usage really, I had the M12V and used it there, but it was a hassle to swap back & forth from handheld to table..that was why the KM12VC looked pretty nice in the store, and it is only a few $$$ more than the M12V...the M12v is nice, but heavier...do you know if the screws, which will have to be longer are available from local hardware or something special from Hatachi?...I had to order one's from Eagle to fit the M12V and router plate...think the plate on mine is 3/8, not sure the screw size of the KM12VC....my plate is already drilled for the M12V, so would have to add more holes, can you provide an easy way of aligning to make the holes?....just center the router and mark the holes in the router base plate and drill?....tks for info...Dennis

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Hi,

I'll have to check the screw size, I do know I did not go to Hitachi to get the screws so it was either a local purchase or out of my cache from a catalog purchase.

Does the router plate have an insert for standard pc type bushings (1-3/16 hole) if so then centering is easy and a kit that has sharp pins that screw in the router base and mark the locations of where to drill can be purchased... it uses an insert in the chuck/collet that matches a insert in the plate to get the alignment right on. I can get you some more details on that if you're interested.

Ed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will accept any info you have, and yes the plate has a standard hole that fits the Delta bushing....never seen an alignment tool they talk about in the ad, just find of eyeballed it and drilled....Dennis

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Any hardware store has a "fasteners" section, within that section they usually have what they call special fasteners. You should be able to find what size an length of screw you are needing. If not, try Fastnel.

Ken

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
dtaylor15 said:
I will accept any info you have, and yes the plate has a standard hole that fits the Delta bushing....never seen an alignment tool they talk about in the ad, just find of eyeballed it and drilled....Dennis
Hi,

It needs a 10-32 X 3/4" or maybe less if the plate is less then 3/8" thick.

Then take a look at:
http://www.routerforums.com/showthread.php?t=395
I thing that will give you the idea of how this kit thing works and for the price it is not a bad deal.

Ed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.