Router Forums banner

Another Red Oak Sign

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  BobbyLee 
#1 ·
I'm fixing to start another sign that will be 12 X 6 made in 1X8 Red Oak. This is one of my favorite woods to carve. But you better have sharp tools to carve it.

I transferred the design using carbon paper. Everything in red will be cut out and then painted red. Everything white will be the natural color of the wood. The backgrounds of the logo and the letters will be smooth.

When finished, the sign will have a decorative edge and shape. I've made a few of these in the past.....fun to make and they are a hit with the Cougar fans down here.

The 3rd picture is of the one I made for Katie.....a co-worker of mine. It was one of the first I ever made and sold.....years ago. But this will give you an idea of how it will look when I'm finished.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I made a little progress today after work. Rough cut all of the letters and the lines around the logo and logo box. I still need to cut out the logo background.

I am also making my own reduced collet adapters for my Ridgid router. I'm making 1/8" and a 3/16" adapter collets. Preliminary testing looks good. Fits good and clamps tight in my 1/4" collet. Tomorrow I will get the slots cut in my reduced collets and then give them a test cut. Maybe tomorrow I can give y'all a review on how they worked. If they work, I will be able to use smaller shank end mills with much smaller and precise diameter cutters. Sometimes working in a machine can have its advantages. LOL

I tie-wrapped my GoPro camera mount to my router to see if I could get a different view of things. Well.....I forgot to charge my camera. So maybe tomorrow I can get a unique perspective of my router at work testing the new collets.

Man, I love carving Red Oak!!

Attachments

Reactions: BobbyLee
#9 ·
Well.....the reduced collet didn't work too good today. The design is EXCELLENT but the material was too soft. I tried using Bronze but after a minute or so the bit would start slipping. So I will next try to make them in stainless steel. I will also make the smaller dia. of the collet about twice the length it is now......getting it deeper into the router's collet.

The 3/16" collet is pictured with one of my Dremel bits.

I didn't get to carve on my sign today. The "roof of my shop" was leaking.....to the tune of about 1/2" of rain today. There's always tomorrow. LOL

Attachments

#11 ·
Thank you Don. It was instilled in me at a young age to make it look nice. When I was young, I was an engraver for a jewelry store. I learned real quick to check everything more than once before engraving. I didn't make enough money to replace anything I may have messed up!! LOL

Being a machinist was fun. But I'm a lot better salesman than I was as a machinist.....I prefer to sit in my chair and talk with people rather than stand on my feet and cut metal! LOL

#12 ·
Making a little more progress. About ready to cut the board to size, cut the edge trimming, sand, paint, sand and seal.

But.....it all depends on the weather. :smile:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.