Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Presently I have a Incra LS setup with the clean sweep and Jessem lift. I've got these mounted between two Festool MFT tables. I'm going to be using this setup to do dovetails and mainly small to medium size boxes. I'm wondering if I need a plunge router to go along with this setup or would the table mounted setup suffice?
I'm 73 years old and just looking at this for the pleasure and enjoyment of working with wood and producing some nice looking boxes.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Bill, "need" is all relative. I have a similar setup (minus the MFT tables), with a PC 7518 in the table and a separate Bosch 1617 for plunging and free-hand stuff. But if I didn't have the PC, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Bosch in the table. I just didn't want to spend the time installing/uninstalling the Bosch in the table. I also got the PC at a great price. You might have more patience than me. I would try one router for a while, that can do both (like the Bosch), and see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
19,237 Posts
For general use at a reasonable price, you just can't beat the Bosch 1617 EVSPK kit. It has both the fixed and plunge bases, goes for about $220 and occasionally, $20 less on sale. You can take the router in and out of the table as needed, although eventually you're likely to buy another router body so you don't have to take the router in and out. Most lifts fit the Bosch, but not necessarily all, so you have to check.

Not long ago, there was a discussion of using a miter bit (45 degree cut) on the table for making perfect corners for boxes. If I were making boxes, I'd give that method a good try. Harry Sinclair started the discussion. You can visit his page (HarrySin) to locate the string.

This is a great hobby. Do you have a table saw yet?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
You can never have enough routers!

I started this hobby on my retirement a couple years ago. I love the table router, I think its the best machine I have ever owned.
But then I wanted a router to fit to a sled for flattening small pieces.
And then I couldnt be bothered to unbolt the router from the sled to make other cuts.
And then, and then, (you can see where this is going by now cant you?)

I now own 5 routers, 3 bought used, and am a very happy person.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Bill, Have you signed up for the Triton Giveaway yet?

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I'm busy doing some cupboard doors that are ply with solid wood banding and I'm adding a finger pull recess on the band on one end. So I currently have 2 routers in two tables, one with a flush trim bit, another with the bit for the finger pull, plus another one handheld with a roundover bit in it. I could get by with one router but I would constantly be changing back and forth and thrying to match up the roundover and finger pull to match previously done doors. So it isn't necessarily about need as much as want in order to keep the job more enjoyable.

Reactions: thomas1389

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
I would get a router that has through the top height adjustment. Having this is so nice. Here is a link to one example but other companies make them.

Bosch 1617EVSTB 2-1-4 HP Fixed-Base Electronic Router and Router Table Base
Yep. I have two complete kits, and a DeWalt compact 611...and an old Craftsman ...and a Triton 3 1/4hp mounted under a table.

And I use them all. When building my new workbench/outfeed/assembly table, I used four of the 5.

The Triton just loafs along when cutting raised panels for doors.

Half blind dovetails for drawer construction...Yep.:smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I'm thinking you could get by with a trim router...Bosch Colt, Ridgid, many more...for around $100 or so...

If you're making small to medium boxes, dovetails, etc...it could be easier to use a smaller router if you are freehanding for example, using a template jig. Heck, the Ridgid is 1 1/2 hp...as much as many older routers that did the whole shebang... I've got a Triton in the table, a 1617, an old 3+hp Craftsman, a Ridgid plunge/fixed and a couple of trim routers...I generally grab the small Ridgid as my freehand goto...

...just a thought...

...and yes, it was this forum that forced me to buy more and more... :)

Reactions: woodknots

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I'm thinking you could get by with a trim router...Bosch Colt, Ridgid, many more...for around $100 or so...

If you're making small to medium boxes, dovetails, etc...it could be easier to use a smaller router if you are freehanding for example, using a template jig. Heck, the Ridgid is 1 1/2 hp...as much as many older routers that did the whole shebang... I've got a Triton in the table, a 1617, an old 3+hp Craftsman, a Ridgid plunge/fixed and a couple of trim routers...I generally grab the small Ridgid as my freehand goto...

...just a thought...

...and yes, it was this forum that forced me to buy more and more... :)
There is never enough. If I only had that little (fill in the blank) I would find it that much easier to do. Or maybe that other thing. And then this too would be nice. Or that, it's not much, I'll get that too. I can justify it all ( not that I need to) I don't smoke or drink. I don't gamble or spend money on loose women( I should be so lucky) And there are no pockets in shrouds so why not. I'm retired, I should enjoy life. I worked hard for it. See, all positives.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts