Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to make a smaller version of this so I could test out some painting ideas I had.

First photo shows the main body, just out of the CNC
2nd photo shows the Arms attached
3rd shows the Oak dowels being attached as strings.
4th is the finished piece.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
:)Fabulous over the top great carve, absolutely great paint job.:)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Excellent - just simply excellent work, Scott!

How long does it take to cut that on the CNC, Scott?

David
thanks David

That piece was about 185 minutes with a .0625 ball nose. Than another hour or so to set up and cut out the spirals, arms and spacer blocks. about 2 hours to paint from start to finish.

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,196 Posts
You didn't cut all of that with a 1/16" bit, did you? I would have thought you'd use a 1/4" ball nose to hog the bulk, then step down to 1/8", and then finally to 1/16", but I haven't cut anything like that so my thinking may be off a bit (not the first time...).

David

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You didn't cut all of that with a 1/16" bit, did you? I would have thought you'd use a 1/4" ball nose to hog the bulk, then step down to 1/8", and then finally to 1/16", but I haven't cut anything like that so my thinking may be off a bit (not the first time...).

David
I did a rough out pass ( about 18 minutes) with a .75 mill.

after that the .0625 tapered ball nose did fine at about 140 ipm. its pine and there is very little bulk left after the rough pass.

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
Another great carving and painting Scott. Thanks for sharing this with us. Makes me want to run my machine for me instead of the customers.

Reactions: Scottart

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another great carving and painting Scott. Thanks for sharing this with us. Makes me want to run my machine for me instead of the customers.
yep, Mike agreed, I have to salt my work with a regular dose of carvings that I want to do for me....... keeps the joy and wonder flowing.

THese CNC machines and the design software are dream makers, an Idea to reality in very short order..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.