Router Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased this keyhole bit to make jigs and things using 1/4 hex head bolts. Although the bolts fit nicely into the slot, the head of the bolt spins freely when inside. This will work for some things but I had envisioned a slot where the bolt head was "captive".
I haven't tried yet but I'm sure it will work better with 1/4" t-bolts.

What t-slot or keyhole bits are you folks using and with what bolts?

Michael

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You've outdone yourself with that link Bj! Very sweet and useful little item.
I recently decided I had need for a little setup to cut bolts and aluminum bar and angle. I was going to get a mini chop saw at Harbor Freight but I like your solution much better.

Thanks!

By the way, I felt the same way. Although my keyhole bit will probably work with 1/4" t-bolts these are not always available locally and have to be mail ordered. It also bothers me that they cost 5 or 6 times more than regular bolts.

Michael

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmmm. Well Mike, I feel a little silly. Yup...

In my defense I tried a 5/16 bolt and it was tight. I just tried again and it fit perfect. The difference; the first time I tried a lag bolt that wasn't threaded all the way up and the fit was no good. This time I tried a threaded hex head bolt and viola! Perfect fit and the head doesn't spin.

So the moral of the story is that a Whiteside #3050 Keyhole bit works well with 5/16" hex head bolts for making jigs that require t-slots.

Thanks Mike :)

Anyone else using keyhole or t-slot bits? What hardware are you using with it?

Michael

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.