Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a simple (very simple) circuit designed that I could build myself.

I want something that will send a signal when a switch is operated, to a remote unit about 50 foot away.

Heres the details;
My workshop is attached to the side of my house but I cant see the door easily to check whether its closed or open. My memory is much older than I am and I'm fed up wandering around every night to check the door is closed.
So I want something that will work off a switch operated by the door to a remote box which will contain 2 small indicator lamps.
The roll up door is operated by a key fob type remote but it does not indicate which position the door is in.
So when I am inside the house, I can press the key fob and actually hear the motor operate, but I dont know if its opening or closing.
I want something that when the door opens, the red remote light comes on. When it closes, the green light comes on and the red light goes out.

Simple? I hope it is to someone.
No, it NOT PRACTICAL to run wires, it has to be remote operated.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Harry Sinclair might be able to help.

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind is a wireless alarm . Once you install the magnetic reeds on the doors , the speaker on the main unit will clarify when the doors are being opened or closed .

I'm not aware of any electronic circuit to do remote indicating . I'm sure there's schematics out there somewhere though. Be interesting to see what comes up

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Bob...

would a single LED work? LIght "ON" when door is open, light off when closed...

Low voltage transformer
Low voltage LED indicator (red/green....whatever you can find)
simple, Normall Open magnetic switch...

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
If you have a garage door beam at the bottom of the opening to sense obstructions, maybe you could run wires off it to a low voltage light mounted where you could see it from the house. when the door is closed the light would be off and when the door was open it would be on.
Just an idea.
Herb

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,786 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can help you. I would get something that already exists---no need to reinvent the wheel. The switch above wont work- it requires wires. HOWEVER the craftsman thing might but is not available and sometimes those things are not always reliable. . what i have in mind- there are many different ways to do this using existing technology- from something that attaches to your wifi- (elaborate) to something very simple- like the craftsman thing--but I'm thinking that the best way would be an inexpensive camera that would hookup to your wifi (wirelessly of course) You could mount it in your garage to look at the whole garage including the window and door, and open a simple app on your phone to check it. There are cameras in the 30-50$ range- would something like that work? Do you have a router at home (for wifi/internet) and a smartphone or tablet?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
helpful attempts, but no.

Bill, cant have wires.

Herb, also cant have wires, and any bulb from the garage visible to my house would have to be mounted on the house on the other side of the road.

Doug, first one needs wires, second one (as mentioned) would be good but not available. (I shall try ebay for similar, I didnt know that existed) No, please, dont get fancy, I have no concept of arduino or pi. I could build a small circuit on vero board, thats about my electronic capacity.

mtsaz. wi fi camera, app on smart phone, uh uh, my phone is a phone, and when I can find it, which is not certain, I can sometimes take pictures with it (as long as you can wait 10 minutes while I figure out how to find the camera button). It has no internet capability.

Dan, no security system, I live in a remote but very safe area. I dont want any kind of alarm, I just want a little box mounted in a corner of the kitchen that I can see at a glance (without trying to find the damn phone) before I go to bed whether I've left the door open or not.

My main fear about all this is the wildlife. There are a couple types of poisonous snakes in this area, and one of them can be lethal, so i dont want one making its home in my wood pile overnight.

Next?

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Sources

Dan, thats about what I need, but the shipping and import duties from canada is going to be a *****.
I've trolled ebay and amazon uk and cant find similar.
I will bookmark it though, in case another (cheaper) solution doesnt come along.
How about Italy or Germany? Or for that matter, Israel (World leaders in security systems)?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Look into Insteon or X10 modules at Smarthome - Home Automation Systems, Products, Kits, Hubs & Ideas. There are modules that can be plugged into an electric outlet, that you can attach switches to, that will send signals by transmitting them through the existing power lines of your property to activate lights or bells, etc. at a receiver module wherever you plug this receiver module in. It will even work at a neighbor's house if their house shares the same power transformer at the street. The signals won't go through the transformer, but through the power lines feeding your home and frequently also your neighbor's. They are easy to program by just setting the house code and a signal number. You set all of your modules for the same house code and if any neighbors are also using these modules they won't interfere with your modules or your's with their's. Then you set the the command number for the signal that you want your switch to send, and then the light module number for the signal that you want to activate it. Programming for that switch and light is done. It's very simple.

I use the X10 modules to turn the candles on and off in each window of my house. I can turn them all on or all off with one switch, or turn the back window candles off earlier than the front window candles. A separate module is used in each room, so there is no wiring on the floor going between the rooms. I have the Christmas decorations at the end of my driveway on another switch and the outside decorations on the front of the house connected to yet another module. I also have a timer module so I can program up to 16 different module codes to turn on or off at certain times or just control them manually from a switch module sitting on the table next to my living room chair, all without adding wiring to my house. I've been thinking about buying the modules to monitor my garage door, but think I may add a wireless Video camera to look at the door from the outside, so I can see the garage door and also the front and back passage doors from my cell phone or computer. This is also quite easy to do using components from Smarthome - Home Automation Systems, Products, Kits, Hubs & Ideas

Here is a kit that I think will do what you want. Remotely Monitor The Status of Your Smart Door. |Smarthome and it's already made.

Charley

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Charley; he's in Cyprus...huge issues with sourcing and cost of shipping/import duties.
He needs a source in Greece(?) or Great Britain. That's why I was suggesting Italy or Germany, both EU countries...you'd think there'd be no problems with them???

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My problem with most of these ideas is that I do not carry a smartphone. I have one, but at the moment am not entirely sure where it is, and even if I did, its not internet connected. I know that makes me almost a freak by modern standards, but hey.

I used to have a simple roller switch on the door, connected by wire to a small indicator lamp on a small panel mounted at the base of the stairs. If the door was open the switch kept the red lamp lit. When i went up to bed it was easy to see the lamp was lit, and so I could then operate the remote to close it. Easy Peasy.
Sadly, a house remodel means that I cant locate it there any more. hard wiring anything else would involve trunking around 3/4 of the house on the outside. Aint gonna happen. Has to be wireless.

Really dont want to spend huge amounts or ship stuff half way round the world on this, its one of those really small things that I would just like to make my life a tiny bit easier.

Mainland europe is a tough place to search on the internet, because of the multiple languages issues. My main source is ebay UK as I get several visitors each year, but at the moment, I cant find the unit that Dan highlighted.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts