1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Just think Theo, 24 hours of sunlight every day right now. What's not to like about that?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Very cool video, I'd be happy to there and have a visit, The video does not say what they do in Churchill to make a living, Fishing I guess, N

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
17,393 Posts
I watched a program recently,and many miles of train tracks were damaged and the government didn’t want to pony up and spend the millions to fix them .
I believe it’s all via plane till then , at least during summer when the roads are not frozen

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reactions: DaninVan

·
Premium Member
19,009 Posts
You guys got my curiosity going so I looked up its location on the West coast of the wider part of Hudson's bay. Then I looked up a city map. This is a SMALL town! People must be close up there. I think it's interesting that the cocktail lounge is very close to the Anglican church. Which one does more business? Interesting little town that has to be cold as heck during winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Makes Sense To me...

You guys got my curiosity going so I looked up its location on the West coast of the wider part of Hudson's bay. Then I looked up a city map. This is a SMALL town! People must be close up there. I think it's interesting that the cocktail lounge is very close to the Anglican church. Which one does more business? Interesting little town that has to be cold as heck during winter.
You missed the RC Legion, next door to the Alliance Church. I couldn't find the Polar Bear Jail...must be outside of town(?).
https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/video/worlds-polar-bear-jail-20895655

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Churchill has a very old history. It was the first British settlement in Hudson’s bay. It played a major role in the beaver trade since Hudson’s bay company got rights to all beaver pelts from waters that drained from the west. Churchill is at the terminus of a river that connects to lake Winnipeg and all the pelts west of there.

The treaty that gave the British rights to the pelts didn’t sit well with the French who moved pelts through the Great Lakes and Grand Portage (now Minnesota). Caused many problems and skirmishes and deaths and trials. Such is the history of Canada’s westward spread.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
You’d have trouble believing how cold Tom. I’ve worked in -60F in north east BC and in northern Alberta and it gets colder in Churchill. Plus there are no trees to buffer the wind. Truckers have a list of things to set on fire if they break down in the middle of nowhere. Even with survival gear you can still freeze death.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You’d have trouble believing how cold Tom. I’ve worked in -60F in north east BC and in northern Alberta and it gets colder in Churchill. Plus there are no trees to buffer the wind. Truckers have a list of things to set on fire if they break down in the middle of nowhere. Even with survival gear you can still freeze death.
Coldest I was in was -20F, where I grew up. But the worst winters I have ever been thru were in Virginia. Didn't ever get down to 0F, maybe 20F or so at the most, but the wind would drive the cold thru anything I put on. I have no idea why that was so, but I don't think I ever dressed with that much cold weather gear at home, but suffered less.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
It doesn't really get that cold here on the Wet Coast, below freezing but not by much. Folks that come here from the prairies complain how cold it feels.. Like Theo said, it just cuts through everything...probably the high humidity.
The wind off the water doesn't help either.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It doesn't really get that cold here on the Wet Coast, below freezing but not by much. Folks that come here from the prairies complain how cold it feels.. Like Theo said, it just cuts through everything...probably the high humidity.
The wind off the water doesn't help either.
I grew up in Michigan, which is surrounded by three of the Great Lakes, and is supposed to have high humidity. I could cope with the winters there, even when it was windy. But Virginia, no way.

It's all in what you are used to. I still remember the day in Nam, when it felt coolish. Checked the thermometer on the mess hall, that was in the shade all day. It read 120F. Amazing what you can get used to. And when I want trips to An Khe, in the highlands, it was around 70F at night, and I'd sleep with two doubled over blankets, fully dressed, and my teeth still chattered. Ah, fun times. LOL I came home and it was around 70F, everyone running around in T-shirts, and me in my hunting coat, shivering. And on top of that, my mother kept saying, "Oh, don't be silly, you're not cold". Every time I talked my teeth would chatter. I like it here, long springs and falls, summers not that bad, and a harsh winter here us usually means three snowfalls, and if one still has snow on the ground after a week, it was a real harsh storm. LOL My mother also used to tell me I wanted to move back to Michigan after I retired from the Army. Gee, if that's so, why am I still here? Hehehe

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
So the baby Polar Bear ask his Mommy if he was 100% Polar Bear? She says that she can't speak for his dad but she is sure there is not other types of Bear in her family, she said to ask your dad. so he does. Dad, is your family 100% Polar bear, or is there some brown bear or black bear in your family, maybe there is some Grizzly Bear! His father said No son, we are very careful who we mix with and there is not any other other type of bear on my family so if you mum says the same then you are 100% Polar Bear, Why did you ask? Well Dad, he says, I'm sorry to hear that, I just don't understand at all, you see when I'm outside with the other bears then I think its very bloody cold. N

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
A friend of my son's that he went to school with just posted pictures of him working (he's a welder) up in Inuvik, NWT. He says he's there to help build a port so that gold mining equipment can be brought ashore and then he helps build the mining equipment. He's wearing a fleece sweatshirt with a fleece hoodie over the top of that. I posted that I imagined that summers are probably short there. His reply was "about 6 weeks".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts