Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I liked the old Jags and the Triumphs. Local short track racers loved the Mini Cooper. If you like Lotus race cars then the place you need to go is the Barber Motor Sports Museum between Leeds and Birmingham (Alabama, not England). He has a fetish for them and has over 50 in his collection. He also has the largest collection of motorcycles in the world. The oldest I saw was a German made one that was at least half oak and you rode it standing up at a blistering speed of 7 mph. It was made in the 1880s. Many of the motorcycles are the only one in existence. Take the virtual tour: https://www.barbermuseum.org/

·
Premium Member
19,008 Posts
I read once that the line of the hood of the XKE mathes the line of the thigh of a beautiful woman. Those brits! A friend of mine had an MGA which he ran at high speed on roads through the hills around Los Angeles. A girlfriend had an MG Sprite, which was great fun to drive.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Had a MG Midget first time in Germany. Great around the city and all, but rode rough as could be on the Autobahn. Did have one advantage on the Autobahn tho, when there was a traffic jam, it was very easy to push it forward a few feet at a time than to start it, roll forward, stop, shut it off, and wait.

Brit buddy in Thailand ordered a Mini Cooper, paid twice more in taxes than he did for the car. Damn thing was like a motorized roller skate, wasn't fantastically fast, but boy could that thing ever get thru thick traffic.

As for motorcycles, a buddy had a Triumph Bonneville I rode once in awhile. Fast. But the motorcycle I really yearned for was American-made. A Clymer Munch Mammoth. Yes, that is the real name. Now would just settle for a decent Cushman Eagle, converted to electric start.

·
Registered
93 Posts
AS AN AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEER (NOW RETIRED), I AM VERY FOND OF BRITISH ROADSTERS AND HAVE OWNED A 1967 JAGUAR XKE ROADSTER, AND A 1967 TRIUMPH TR4A. I RESTORED THE TR FROM FRAME UP TWICE, FOLLOWING COLLISIONS. MY JAG WAS CAPABLE OF 150MPH, AS TESTED ON THE EXPRESSWAY FROM CHICAGO TO MILWAUKEE.
I HAVE PHOTOS, BUT LOST THEM ON MY COMPUTER AFTER AN OS RE-LOAD, DUE TO A COMPUTER CRASH. I WOULD NEED TO SCAN THE PHOTOS AGAIN.
I HAVE QUITE A LIBRARY OF RELATED BOOKS.
MY USER NAME IS OFTEN jaguar1201, ONLY BECAUSE SOMEBODY ELSE HAD jaguar120 ALREADY.
RICK

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
My first car was a 1951 Singer sports.It had a 4 cylinder,chain driven overhead cam shaft engine.No power,but would toddle along at 50 mph all day but the body was part aluminium with a wooden frame under & when the wood rotted away,cracks appeared at various locations in the body & it basically fell to bits.God I had some fun it that little car.One day when a hole appeared in the muffler(caused by a backfire),the wood floor caught fire but I always carried water in case she boiled.So I put out the fire,replaced the floor with marine ply,installed a new muffler & away we went. I finally gave the car to my father who removed the engine & used it to power the last boat he ever built. I was only 19 years old at the time but with what I have learned from this Forum in the past,I now would be able to make that little car like new again. And yes,Singer cars were built in Britain.Best wishes, James jj777746.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure how I got hooked on sports cars but my first one was a 1957 Triumph TR3. I knocked the bottom of the radiator out by hitting a curb in a parking lot and that set into motion my buying and selling for over 50 years. It was usually buy low and sell high but not always. Along the way, I had a lot of TR3's, MGB's. A Jag XK150, and MGA, MGTF and a Singer which I had forgotten about until now. I had that one for less than a week when the clutch went so I traded it for the MGTF plus $150 dollars. The car I had wanted since 1961 was the XKE which I finally achieved. If only I held on to all those cars. Oh well, we all wish we had some of our old cars that we thought we were getting such a good deal when we sold them.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I can't help it, I'm a country boy, and that would make a sweet roadster pickup. Would really shame a Corvette pickup for sure.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
A friend and I were discussing old Jaguars and he lamented how they built a world class sports car and then had the bad idea of installing Lucas electrics in it. I owned 3 old BSA motorcycles and they had the same problem. Good bikes but poor electrical system.

·
Premium Member
19,008 Posts
I worked for a year for Kawasaki motors (MC division). One day sitting around with a bunch of writers for MC magazines. we got around to how notorious british bikes for leaking. My brother had a Norton Commando, and he had to keep a drip tray under it at all times.

One of the writers shared about a visit to a British factory. Gleaming tooling everywhere, top notch machine tools. Perfect parts every time. Then he said, he went to an assembly area where the tables were covered with nails, metal particles, all of which ruined those carefully machined parts.

I remember that an MGA's fuel pump cap was constantly popping off. The best replacement was to put on the cap of a certain deodorant spray can. Worked just right after that. But you always hear loving remembrances of those fickle, machines that were so much fun to drive.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Hey Art, my Singer sports car photo should have been on this post. I also owned a Hillman Minx station wagon & 5 British motor cycles but don't have any pics of them. Thanks for sharing your Jag photos.E type Jaguars were once voted "The Most Beautiful Car In The World"
James.jj777746.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My first car was a Morris Minor - not exactly a sports car. That was followed by a Triumph Herald sedan. Again, not a sports car.

After I had been in the Marines for a couple of years I got a 1968 Triumph Spitfire (my memory is fuzzy on the model year.) That was a sports car, and I tended to drive it as such. (I had learned about driving sports cars earlier because my father used to race his TR-4 on weekends. Strip it down for racing on Friday night, race Saturday & Sunday, & put it back to street-legal Sunday night.)

The Spitfire got a lot of driving in 1969-70. While at home in Maryland in the summer of '69 I started dating a young lady I knew from high school. As I was stationed in the southern part of Georgia at the time, my weekends were spent driving between the two locations. Almost 800 miles each way. Before the Interstate highways. Mostly at night. I did do it safely - I had a racing harness installed and I had a racing helmet, and I was never pulled over. And so far she has been hanging around ever since.

I had to get rid of the Spitfire after I got back from Vietnam - my brother swore he would take excellent care of it, and of course he didn't.

Since then it has been more "sensible" cars. Although my 2004 Prius does not object to being handled like a sports car ...

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
@jaguar1201,Hi Enrico,thank you for posting your Jaguar photos,not sure but I saw the first E Type in the late 1950s & wanted one ever since but always out of range price-wise.Best wishes,James.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like the cockpit of a serious machine. These cars will pass anything but a gas station!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Art, my Singer sports car photo should have been on this post. I also owned a Hillman Minx station wagon & 5 British motor cycles but don't have any pics of them. Thanks for sharing your Jag photos.E type Jaguars were once voted "The Most Beautiful Car In The World"
James.jj777746.
I saw the picture of it and it reminded me of the day mine died. I thought at the time that it had been a trusty car. After all it lasted a week. I bought it because I liked the look of the MG and the Singer was rare even back then. Plus it was around $300 which was the price of all the used sports cars.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Rick (Enrico),did your TR have electric overdrive trans ?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts