Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Skil router (used reconditioned) and a Ryobi router ($99 special from HomeDepot) and used them to practice on a few pieces of wood. What would you recommend for a beginner project?

·
Registered
20 Posts
A small shelf to mount in the living room rout a profile such as a round over on three sides. Making several light passes always routing the end grain first to prevent tare out. Try to find a cheap multibit set and experament with differant cutters and your pride and ideas will grow as you see the profiles. Soon you will be looking for higher grade bits.
Be carefull with your pride, better bits can get expensive. HaHa

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Kyu,

With two routers in your hand, the door's wide open for you! :)

A couple of ideas would be to visit the forum specifically for people who are starting out in routing

Starting Off - Router Forums

as you will likely find some people have asked some of the questions you're thinking and some you haven't quite thought of yet.. <g>

Beyond that, freehand sign making is one good confidence-builder... here's a section on all kinds of sign making...

Sign Making - Router Forums

And some want to get into router tables to extend their routing capabilities. Here's a fun thread where many people have posted pictures of router tables they've made and bought. You might find it makes good inspirational dream fodder!! :D

http://www.routerforums.com/table-mounted-routing/17212-wanted-pictures-your-router-table.html

..and then of course there's anything else you can dream up. A router is (essentially) a portable cutting bit.. and do an amazing number of things. Some postings of what others have made are shown here

http://www.routerforums.com/show-n-tell/

Jim

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Nothing.
I would buy some hardwood (FAS), like red oak, it's easy to rout.
I'd get a dozen cutters set to very shallow depths and rout the afternoon away.
Once confident you can hold the work and rout without burining stock, tearout, or splitting end grain, I'd take a shot at a simple router table and do it all over again.
That under control, I'd study woodworking. Material prep, layout, joinery, drilling, sanding, measuring, design and maybe finishing.
Now the router may play out. They do nothing without jigs, fixtures, well prepared material, and an operator with priors. Under your control, they solve many problems, many.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I'm with Chris......... a shelf will give you the expierience of routing an edge and some confidence...... Route edges on some 1x4 material and make a picture frame. A good starter bit kit is MLCS's 15 piece MLCS Router Bit Assortment Sets Gateway

Whatever project you pick put safety first and have fun!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Welcome,and as stated practice

·
Registered
989 Posts
How about a nice break-front bookcase or display cabinet with raised panel doors and fluted columns, this should keep a beginner busy for a couple of years, alternatively, something for the kitchen like a spice rack, chopping board, saucepan shelf or paper roll holder, good luck you'll have fun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think you should stick with something that you are interested in or you might needa round the house. This will ensure that you stay interested and not fall away in a couple of months. Maybe start out with some smaller items such as pictures frames or bird feeders and move on to some more substantial items such as furniture and cabinets.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I bought a Skil router (used reconditioned) and a Ryobi router ($99 special from HomeDepot) and used them to practice on a few pieces of wood. What would you recommend for a beginner project?
Remember to feed the wood into the rotation of the bit. IF you do it on the other side the wood will shoot out so fast you will not see it go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I am going to give it a shot...don't expect perfection the first time around but don't want to spin my wheels in frustration either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
O.k. I will look. Wow! I have had lots of replies so I just want to to tackle one suggestion at a time. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I hope You are makin some sawdust now , remember be careful

·
Registered
7 Posts
My advice would be to spend some time reading through the threads on this forum. There is tons of information and hundreds of great ideas, something here will light a fire in your belly if you look around enough. Also, learning as much as you can early on about different accessories and jigs will save you time and money in the long run as you won't be buying things that you don't need.

Most of all, as has been already been said, have fun and BE SAFE!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts