Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys I realize this is a wood forum , but I'm thinking about getting a 50 amp recepticle put in the garage before its insulated and to late .

I haven't welded before but there are instances like in my gym where I really would have liked to use square tubing instead of wood for the weight racks .
I would like to weld aluminum too and kind of have my heart set on a Miller 211 welder.
There seems to be two kinds of people out there , those who swear by Lincohn , and those who are faithful to Miller .
Just wondering what you guys prefer for welding thin walled square tubing and angle iron etc

Of course it's twice as much for this welder in Canada

https://www.millerwelds.com/en/equipment/welders/mig-gmaw/r1021572-no-name

·
Registered
72 Posts
My son has a Miller 211, it's a great choice for what you are looking at. I like it because it will run on 110 or 220, which gives you some options. If you're going to do serious production and lots of use, you may want something a bit bigger, but for hobby use, it's a great tool.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
go back and read the specs...
30 amp @230V...
add gas to it...
stop wasting money and materials...
surface mount your electric...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Like Stick says, surface mount and use either bx cable or run PVC conduit on the face of the wall instead of inside. I also wouldn't recess the breaker panel. All your walls will be outside walls and there won't be enough space behind the panel for enough insulation. The inside of the panel could get cold enough to cause water vapour in the air to condense which is not good for the connections.

Reactions: tomp913

·
Registered
504 Posts
It is a good little welder for home use. When you get a gas bottle, DO NOT get the tiny little bottles for ease of transport. It costs a lot to refill them. Not the GAS, but the refill charge, which is the same whether you are filling a small bottle or a 250 cu. ft. bottle. Set the bottle against the wall, secure it with a chain, and use a longer hose to get to the welder. It will save you money.

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like Stick says, surface mount and use either bx cable or run PVC conduit on the face of the wall instead of inside. I also wouldn't recess the breaker panel. All your walls will be outside walls and there won't be enough space behind the panel for enough insulation. The inside of the panel could get cold enough to cause water vapour in the air to condense which is not good for the connections.
Good info but to late the cables are cut . There's only 1-1/5" of Roxel behind the panel where its secured , 3" in the middle of the panel .
I used pocket hole screws and 3/4 BB so there was some space behind the wood where the panel attaches . Love them pocket hole screws !
I could use low rise spray foam and pray it doesn't blow the wall out if you think condensation is going to be an issue. There is vapour barrier behind the panel too

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My son has a Miller 211, it's a great choice for what you are looking at. I like it because it will run on 110 or 220, which gives you some options. If you're going to do serious production and lots of use, you may want something a bit bigger, but for hobby use, it's a great tool.
Dan it's going to be a hobbyist welder , nothing to serious , so I'm thinking it's as good a choice as any .
I prefer 220 so there's not to so much load on a single wire . And yes I see it runs on 110 also . May as well run an outlet for a bigger machine just in case to be future proof

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok I think we have a winner , Millers 252 model . Some of the people in the reviews I read are claiming there getting better welds even on the thinner gauge metals with the 252 as opposed to the 211 .
Makes sense seeing as there's more headroom with the 252 as it weighs 207 lbs compared to 74 lbs for the 211 .

https://www.kmstools.com/miller-millermatic-252-mig-welder-mail-in-rebate-3443

·
Registered
749 Posts
I dabble a little with welding. I have an old Hobart welder that was made right after Miller took over Hobart welding and it is a Miller 250 under the hood. I have 2 surface 50 amp plugs mounted spliced to one wire to one 60 amp breaker. My feed wire to my garage breaker box was not big enough to run 2 separate 60 amp breakers. One welding plug is by a side door of my garage and one is at the other end of my carport. I ran 6 gauge wire and can only use one plug at a time setup with a 60 amp breaker.

The miller 252 is a fine welder probably the best out there for this size. If I was to buy a welder now for hobby work I would probably look at the Hobart Ironman 230 package with the Spool gun package for welding aluminum. Tractor supply in the USA has a good price for the package. And they run on sale from time to time.

The nice thing about getting a bigger welder is your duty time welding small wire becomes almost 100%.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Hmmm . . . Sparks and Sawdust . . . keep your homeowner's insurance paid up!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
The insulation will keep the fire from spreading .................... when it gets installed.

HJ

Gotta love ya Rick

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a welder by trade I don't know too much about the little wire feeders but a nice 250 amp ac/dc stick machine is nice to have around the house and I can give you one piece of advice don't let the neighbors know you got a welding machine!

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
I think they'll guess when the all the lights dim, and the blue white light from Rick's garage window lights up the neighborhood.
The smell of Ozone might also give it away.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use a Miller& love it but would see nothing wrong with a Lincoln. Either is a great machine. Pay attention to the advice about ventilation. Mine is sited just inside a double garage door and I often direct a floor fan to push fumes outside. also the advice about bottle size for aluminum welding is right on. I run mine on a 50 amp 110 circuit without trouble. Also, get a self darkening helmut. Cheap ($49) at Harbor Freight.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts