Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Nice looking jig Gary but $$$$. I guess maybe in a mass production shop the time saved might be worth it but using a T-Square or really any square does about the same thing unless I'm missing something. But who am I to say. I bought a Domino 500 and have used it twice in the past 8 months.......

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice jig, it would be great if I have a luxurious tool like that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was thinking of buying that for my track saw but I just use a square to line up both ends before clamping the track to the board. The TSO is expensive and something I can't afford.

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
Pretty neat . If I was still working I’d probably buy it

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
I was thinking of buying that for my track saw but I just use a square to line up both ends before clamping the track to the board. The TSO is expensive and something I can't afford.
This is what I resort to . Gets it done

·
Registered
508 Posts
There are tools for the haves but not for the have-nots - and then there are the must-haves. I don't own any of this elite brand's products...guess I don't need it.

·
Retired Moderator
16,386 Posts
I would want to know if it`s accurate enough before I shelled out that much cash for it. If I`m cutting a sheet of something expensive up, and on my budget almost any sheet good I consider expensive, I`d measure up both edges from the end to make sure I was cutting square. I don`t even trust a good 4 foot T square for something like that.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for your opinions . I'm working on a project with a panel 48 1/8 x 30 1/8. I got a little tax money back think of buying.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Looks like an interesting tool but I don't use a track saw. I use an edge guide set up for my circ saw, mark the two ends, clamp it up and "let 'er rip"... I guess I would still make two marks even if I were to use something like this so it would not be as useful.

Nice, but too rich for my blood and doesn't help the way I work...

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I put that new track saw to work. Made quick work at cutting that plywood to size. Quick and accurate careful marking and good square as rainman suggested . With the cheap clone tracksaws out there now great investments. The wen track saw great buy for DIYer's. If I was in business I'd buy name brand. PS I may buy the jig yet still pondering.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ultimately, the end result is all that counts, so having an expensive tool that works properly is awesome, especially if lots of use is part of it's life.

As with any tool, correct setup and accurate results may not be the same thing. Some tools cut off set or not square when put under load, especially when cutting dense or hard and thicker materials.
Cheap tools usually deflect more, but that can be overcome.

I bought my first Kreg circular saw attachment recently and am looking forward to seeing if my PC 120V saw is better/faster than when I do the clamp a straight edge after measuring 5x on each end and then cutting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Festool Rail Square

This is a sweet guide square and I am glad to have purchased it. My guide was tending to drift at times but with this thing, I have had no issues whatsoever. I use constantly so it made sense to spent the dollars. German tools are usually in the very high quality as Festool and price reflect that. The fences though are made in the US for Festool, and that seems to have added to the quality.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Looks like an interesting tool but I don't use a track saw. I use an edge guide set up for my circ saw, mark the two ends, clamp it up and "let 'er rip"... I guess I would still make two marks even if I were to use something like this so it would not be as useful.

Nice, but too rich for my blood and doesn't help the way I work...
Me too!
Herb

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Hmmm.
Framing square and a pencil, or this $175 jig?
I would think that if you're using this frequently on many parts/pieces it may well be worthy. I know I don't trust that no slide feature enough that I bought clamps to secure it but putting those clamps on/off many time would get very tiring. Especially on long pieces. If I used mine all the time, yeah, I'd spring for it. Really depends on your situation and need. Don't forget it's helping keep the track square and straight. No pencil mark will do that.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I gather this tool is most useful for those that only want to make one mark and then trust the squareness of it clamped to the track to make the cut...?

Since I don't have a track saw, how do you guys with track saws mark your piece...one mark and a square or two...?

If you're making two marks anyway, how does this tool help...?

Reactions: Cherryville Chuck

·
Registered
231 Posts
I gather this tool is most useful for those that only want to make one mark and then trust the squareness of it clamped to the track to make the cut...?

Since I don't have a track saw, how do you guys with track saws mark your piece...one mark and a square or two...?

If you're making two marks anyway, how does this tool help...?
@;

It depends...the first thing I do with a 4x8 sheet of ply is make sure one long side is square to short. It rarely if ever is, so I use the rail square with a long rail to cut the long side square. In this case no marks just line it up so I take off enough edge to make it square. If I am ripping a long piece I use 2 marks just to verify my measurements. If I am cross-cutting just one mark, line up the track and cut. I really like the jig, it is very well made and really speeds breaking down ply. I also use it when I a using a router to cut dados or rabbets. It definitely makes my life easier.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts