Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever here of Ginkgo, or used it in a project? Not sure if it's spelled right. Some one asked if I had heard of anyone using it. What does the wood look like, how it works, is it soft or hard?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rick. I checked out those sites and as far as I can tell it's a hard wood, yellowish in color. Looks like it has a nice grain pattern to it also.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I have known of Ginkgo for years. It is unusual in many ways, one of which it that is that whole trees have different "sexes". The female tree emits a foul odor during the mating season. I wonder if there is a difference in the quality of wood from the two "sexes".

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know anything about it, but here is a link to some pictures and some info.

hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/ginko.htm

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
One of the oldest trees in the world. I take Ginko Biloba every day. It is supposed to help with declining memory.

Cheers

Peter

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Drirot and Peter. Peter, I heard a Dr. talk about it, he said that wasn't so but did say that it helps with the blood circulation in the legs. I'll have to tell the fellow that asked me about it as he may get a log of it from a neighbor that wants to cut down a female tree. Might be able to get a board or two from him if he gets it.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hi Ron

I once did a Linux course with an ex Pfizer research chemist. He explained that Ginko was good for improving blood flow to the extremities (Pfizer knows a thing or too about that) and that the memory was assisted by better blood flow to the brain. He reckoned they'd had good responses in clinical trials.

Cheers

Peter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts