Router Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
Interesting. More construction than woodworking I think. Not sure how precise the measure will be since you appear to be lining up with the front of the body sighting down to the tape. At least you wouldn't always be looking for a pencil.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Looks interesting but at .9 mm the lead is a little thick so like Tom says, better for carpentry. I like using a .5mm lead or a marking knife if I need a really fine line. These are my favorite shop tapes and if you are right handed you can get a right hander's tape (right to left reading). Standard tapes are made for left handed people for some odd reason (left to right reading). Blindman's Tapes - Lee Valley Tools

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
Nice idea having big numbers and at least they narrowed the markings to a point on the edges. I also like to use a knife for fine stuff (fitting an inside piece for example), but I also like the thin, orange painted Home Depot pencils for marking less precise measures. I keep a sharpener on hand to give a super sharp point. Buy them by the dozens and got an artist's sharpener that makes a very sharp point and doesn't break the lead. I like the very dark mark they make and the line is very fine. I haven't tried a .5 mm mechanical pencil because I constantly break the .7 leads, and of course the pencil is always somewhere else when I need it--but that's memory, not pencil.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
learn to clip it to your collar and use the high strength poly leads..
.5mm is very doable then..

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Looks interesting but at .9 mm the lead is a little thick so like Tom says, better for carpentry. I like using a .5mm lead or a marking knife if I need a really fine line. These are my favorite shop tapes and if you are right handed you can get a right hander's tape (right to left reading). Standard tapes are made for left handed people for some odd reason (left to right reading). Blindman's Tapes - Lee Valley Tools
Standard tapes are made for left handed people for some odd reason.

Nothing odd about that Chuck. You see I am left handed. :laugh2:

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

and in your right mind..

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Stick, was that a question?

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I use the same markers as Charles. The .5mm takes a little getting used to to have the right touch.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts

You probably never even noticed then, unlike the other 80% of us who were trying to measure and mark cross-handed.

I bought a 4 pack of mechanical pencils so that one could stay on the fence on my TS, one could stay on my bench, and the other two could be lost somewhere in the shop. Come to think of it I have 3 or 4 of those blindman tapes for the same reason.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: Shop guy

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
no...
(right brain left hand)..

that makes right handers our in left field..
So, you're out in left field?:surprise::lol::lol::lol:

Are you all wet, too?>:)

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
So, you're out in left field?:surprise::lol::lol::lol:

Are you all wet, too?>:)
I'm a lefty and I know how to come in outta the rain too...
I be dry..

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
That marking tape is a great idea for a framer. I'd have to test it in the shop to see if it were useful for me.
As to marking pencils, my favorite is the Pica Dry pencil. Marks on nearly any surface, easily erased, and has it's own built in sharpener. Plus, it's florescent green...hard to lose on my cluttered bench. Here's a look.
https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=Q0sOuG2RiZs

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I would have to test it and see how accurate it is. I still speak feet and inches but I mostly use metric so I buy tapes that have both. N

·
Registered
692 Posts
This is the one clipped to my shirt collar for the last [approximately] twenty years. It's a point five Pentel. To use it, pull the cap (covering half the body in the picture) and put it on the back. Then it works like a regular mechanical pencil - push the cap to move the "lead."

I use these because, with the cap over the point, I never get poked by it.

I'm on my third or fourth in a couple decades, but now keep a few around for times they get washed, or disappear for a few days [or forever].

learn to clip it to your collar and use the high strength poly leads..
.5mm is very doable then..

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Pentel P20 series for me w/ added slide on grips...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts