Router Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have some decent apple wood to work with, limbs cut and ends sealed. Any advice on turning or routing with apple wood? I like making small wooden clock faces and may try a few with small support bases as well.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Welcome

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Welcome Jerry. Glad to have you with us. As for routing apple if it is dry I would say it would route rather well. As for turning apple especially if green has a tendency to warp a lot and crack quite a bit. I had some apple about a year ago that I roughed into bowls. I sealed all the bowls with anchorseal and I mean the whole bowl. I think if I remember correctly I had roughed out around 8 bowls. All but 2 cracked to where they were unusable. I tried a different method on the next 5 that I did. I soaked them in denatured alcohol for a week. I took them out and wrapped them with a brown paper grocery sack. 4 of the 5 cracked. So I don't do much apple. The only thing I didn't try was cutting the logs in half, seal the ends, put them in my drying shed to let dry naturally. As you probably already know wood takes a year per inch to air dry. The ones I finished were just beautiful but as I have heard and found out fruit wood can be finicky to say the least. I hope it works out for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts