Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think my router is 12 amps. So 12amp X 120volts = 1440watts. Is that correct? Wow!!
But if I calculated properly I figure that only comes to 18 cents per hour of actual operation.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I think my router is 12 amps. So 12amp X 120volts = 1440watts. Is that correct? Wow!!
But if I calculated properly I figure that only comes to 18 cents per hour of actual operation.
Boy is someone making a profit on you. We pay $0.08 per kilowatt hour. Québec sells power onto the US grid at $0.02 to $0.04 per kilowatt hour. That's one h_ll of a markup. So, the next time you see a limousine or fancy car, figure you paid for it. How it is that he's driving it and not you?

BTW, you forgot to include building, light, heat, air conditioning, and all of the other stuff that goes into a shop.

·
Registered
802 Posts
SofaSurfer:

I believe you will find that the 12 Amps is peak current, not average running current. You would only use 12 Amps when "pushing" the router hard -- high spin rate with high feed rate through hardwood.

Anyways, to calculate the peak cost, using the 12 Amp peak current and 8 cents per kWh:

12 A x 120 V x 1 h x (1 kW/1000 W) x ($0.08/kWh) = 11.5 cents per hour

Now, as we know, the average current would be much lower (not pushing as hard plus not running the router continuously for the hour.) As a result the cost per hour should be much lower -- I would expect less than a nickel per hour.

I won't get into the issues of real power and reactive power, which would only confuse the isse.

Cassandra

·
Marine Engineer
4,774 Posts
Are they expensive to operate?

Well, first you need another bit that you don't have, thats $18, then you put the dado in the wrong place on that 'perfect' piece of walnut,.... Then the love of your life wants another special project...

Expensive, yep. But worth it!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Doug, that was my first thought when I read the question....wood is expensive.....but, as you say, it is worth it.....

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
They are not expensive to operate. It could get expensive to outfit with all the add-ons, & accessories available for them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is getting married expensive? Nah. $25.00 for the licence; another $25.00 for the clerk to declare you man and wife. That's $50.00 total. Not bad.

I think the router is similarly priced.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The original reason I posted the question was that I found out it drew 1440 watts. That was quite a shock when you consider that a light bulb is 60 watt and we try to not use them when we don't have to.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
I guess the key then is don't use your router when you don't have to. Seriously, for most of us this is a hobby, even more than a hobby and we are in it for the chance to be creative and the value of that is priceless.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
The original reason I posted the question was that I found out it drew 1440 watts. That was quite a shock when you consider that a light bulb is 60 watt and we try to not use them when we don't have to.
If your electric rate is 8 to 12 cents per kwh, running a 60 watt bulb continuously will cost you between 12 and 18 cents per day; between $3.60 and $5.40/month.

Here in Alaska, in the winter, most people leave "security lights" on full time. Over the course of the winter you'd save enough to buy a timer system, but not if you had to hire an electrician to install it. Many still do so, in an effort to be "earth friendly", but it's no great economic savings.

Also, you can do a lot of routing in 1 hour of "router running" time.

·
Banned
510 Posts
In answer to your question Routers can be expensive to operate not so much the power consumed but the cot of the cutters required to achieve your next project.

Tom
(Template Tom)

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
In answer to your question Routers can be expensive to operate not so much the power consumed but the cot of the cutters required to achieve your next project.

Tom
(Template Tom)
+1 :lol::lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Is getting married expensive? Nah. $25.00 for the licence; another $25.00 for the clerk to declare you man and wife. That's $50.00 total. Not bad.

I think the router is similarly priced.
Hey, like the initial router purchase, that $50 is just the STARTUP cost!! :lol:

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Not true, if you use your head when buying the cutters (bits)

======

In answer to your question Routers can be expensive to operate not so much the power consumed but the cost of the cutters required to achieve your next project.

Tom
(Template Tom)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hey, like the initial router purchase, that $50 is just the STARTUP cost!! :lol:
And in France, Belgium, it is more, more expensive than in USA or Canada

Santé

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

I got the one below off Amazon on sale for 50.oo bucks, complete with 3 bases new in the box..plus many extra items..

===

And in France, Belgium, it is more, more expensive than in USA or Canada

Santé

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
WAWWWW ! It is a wonderful purchase !
Congratulations
I spoke for price of bits in normal stores

Santé

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

Thanks
One should not buy bits from a normal store that's not using ones head :) why pay 4 times the price...for just a router bit.. :)

=====

WAWWWW ! It is a wonderful purchase !
Congratulations
I spoke for price of bits in normal stores

Santé

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yes, that's right, but I'm too old, I'm old school, I don't like buying what I can not touch

Santé

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

That's true but most of the time you can't touch them, just look at them behind the glass door or in a plastic box now days..that they don't want you to open in the store until you have put the money down for them...so that's why one must do his home work and look at them on the NET :) almost the same thing..

=======

Yes, that's right, but I'm too old, I'm old school, I don't like buying what I can not touch

Santé

1 - 20 of 30 Posts