Router Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
In similar audio equipment work, my son has asked me to build something similar to this, BUT, with the electric adjustable desk legs I recently assembled for him, I thought he only wanted a desk top, he said that this is a desk top !!!

https://zaorstudiofurniture.com/product/miza-x2/

So I bought a sheet of 1/4'' Luan to make a design and template but I don't like the angles I cut so it's back to the drawing board !

Attachments

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
In similar audio equipment work, my son has asked me to build something similar to this, BUT, with the electric adjustable desk legs I recently assembled for him, I thought he only wanted a desk top, he said that this is a desk top !!!

https://zaorstudiofurniture.com/product/miza-x2/

So I bought a sheet of 1/4'' Luan to make a design and template but I don't like the angles I cut so it's back to the drawing board !
Dan I want to build a corner computer desk and need three legs that are powered so I can adjust the height .
May I ask what your using ?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Rick,

This set up is by Prime Cables and the same thing is offered by V Ryzer. Please beware that there are 2 corner models available, the one we have is a ''V'' and there is also an ''L'' I saw on the web site. I wish my son would have gotten the ''L'' shape it would be easier to work with a 90 degree angle rather than whatever we have. Trying to fit the top he wants is a head scratcher for sure. The 3 leg models are quite capable and can lift 340 lbs. The desk( picture I posted) is over $3000 to buy and only made from melamine ! Because of the span between the legs I want to use 1'' thick MDF or hardwood. The span on the "V'' shape legs from side to side is 88'' if I use 3/4'' I'm sure it will sag. The desk will be for his recording studio and will hold several electronic devices and there is a pull out slider in the design for a pretty big keyboard, my son's Yamaha keyboard is so big ! it weighs 70 lbs and is 54'' long, but that is just one of them !

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
Rick,

This set up is by Prime Cables and the same thing is offered by V Ryzer. Please beware that there are 2 corner models available, the one we have is a ''V'' and there is also an ''L'' I saw on the web site. I wish my son would have gotten the ''L'' shape it would be easier to work with a 90 degree angle rather than whatever we have. Trying to fit the top he wants is a head scratcher for sure. The 3 leg models are quite capable and can lift 340 lbs. The desk( picture I posted) is over $3000 to buy and only made from melamine ! Because of the span between the legs I want to use 1'' thick MDF or hardwood. The span on the "V'' shape legs from side to side is 88'' if I use 3/4'' I'm sure it will sag. The desk will be for his recording studio and will hold several electronic devices and there is a pull out slider in the design for a pretty big keyboard, my son's Yamaha keyboard is so big ! it weighs 70 lbs and is 54'' long, but that is just one of them !
Thanks for the links .

This is going to be an epic build Dan. Can’t wait to see progress pics ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
...my son's Yamaha keyboard is so big ! it weighs 70 lbs and is 54'' long, but that is just one of them !
Haha! That's about equal to one of these Maple shelves in the audio rack. They'll be 23" x 52" and weigh 70 lbs. each.

That's a stout keyboard, for sure.

David

·
Registered
944 Posts
David,

Given your previous experience, do you think the 1'' MDF is strong enough to not sag, I am referring to the desk top only. The upper shelf and the body will all be 3/4'' MDF and everything will be covered in a wood grain style of laminate, probably Wenge or Walnut colors. TIA.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
David,

Given your previous experience, do you think the 1'' MDF is strong enough to not sag, I am referring to the desk top only. The upper shelf and the body will all be 3/4'' MDF and everything will be covered in a wood grain style of laminate, probably Wenge or Walnut colors. TIA.

Dan
1" MDF is pretty stout material, so depending on the span between supports and where the weight is concentrated it should be fine.

David

·
Registered
232 Posts
David,

Dan
You can calculate sag with this https://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/
tool. It is my go to when I build shelves, counter tops etc..

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok, I'm back on the audio rack after installing the Shelix cutterhead in my jointer over the weekend. Today I cleaned up the edges on the three Curly Maple boards, one pass each. Because I bought the cutterhead with bearings installed and 15 extra knives the cost with shipping was $400 and it took about five weeks to arrive (backordered). So that's about $67 per pass but wow do the edges look good! :grin:

Here are the chipped edges -
009 - Curly Maple - edge chipped.JPG

And the edges I just cut today with the new Shelix cutterhead -
011 - Curly Maple - edges clear after Shelix cutterhead on jointer.JPG

David

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's a nice one Dave. Maybe some day, most manufacturers will be offering the helix style head on their planers and jointers as standard equipment.

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
That's a nice one Dave. Maybe some day, most manufacturers will be offering the helix style head on their planers and jointers as standard equipment.
I’ve got a GI 6” jointer and would love to upgrade to those . I have a feeling the helix head is as much or more than I paid for the jointer though.

Dave , was there any setup , like alignment for the individual blades or anything?

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Dave , was there any setup , like alignment for the individual blades or anything?
No sir, Rick, pretty easy. Once I got the cutterhead in place I raised the outfeed table to the height of the knives and locked it down. First cut was perfect.

David

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I may make a video of the entire build once this is complete, not sure, video production takes a while. :wink:

Finally got to a point where I could begin joining the boards for the shelves and started with the Hard Rock Maple. I'll save the much more expensive Curly Maple for the last in case I learn something new when I join these boards.

Because these are heavy and the edges so crisp they're sharp I decided to do one joint at a time rather than attempt gluing all three boards at once. That turned out to be a good move because doing just one joint is about all the open time I have for TB I, probably could have switched to TB III to get more open time but didn't want to do that.

I used biscuits for making certain everything stays aligned, not for strength, and it worked well for this application.

013 - Cutting biscuit slots.jpg

014 - Biscuit slots.jpg

015 - Started gluing shelves.JPG

016 - One shelf glued.JPG

David

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Loaded the three shelves, two Hard Rock Maple and one Curly Maple, and headed 10 minutes away to my friend’s cabinet shop. They have a 24” spiral head planer and 36” wide belt sander.

It still took an hour to plane and sand these heavy boards but it would have taken days per board in my shop.

David

·
Registered
17,392 Posts

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
Nice having friends with better toys than you . A 24 planer would be awesome ev

21 - 40 of 41 Posts