Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please join me in congratulating the newest author in our midst!

Oliver (Gaffboat) has just published a beginner's book titled "The Newbie's Guide to CNC Routing". I've read it, and it's the best thing for beginners I've seen yet. As you can imagine, there's nothing dry or lecture-like about it. It's done in a down to earth, conversational tone with some injections of humor along the way. And he's gone out of his way to avoid overpowering the reader with unnecessary jargon or advanced techniques. In the 60 or so pages of instruction, he gives the newbie just as much as they need to start using their machine and having fun with it.

In every chapter there were things I learned that would have helped me to avoid frustrations and unnecessary mistakes if I had read the book when I first bought my machine.

There’s an excellent explanation of using vectors and layers, and it has the first down to earth, easily understandable explanation I've seen of the principle of chip load, by using specifications from bit manufacturers along with varying your rate of feed and bit rpm to get the best looking results.

In the appendix, there's a very good glossary, some pages of reference charts, and some blank feed and speed work sheets to experiment with chip loads on your own machine and document what effect each variation had on the end result.

I highly recommend the book for beginners and those who are considering the purchase of a CNC machine, as well as those ( like me) who have limited experience so far and could greatly benefit from common sense explanations that I hadn't seen before.

Here's the link for the book:
https://www.amazon.com/Newbies-Guide-CNC-Routing-woodworking/dp/1726471020/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537220365&sr=8-1&keywords=newbie's+guide+to+cnc

Attachments

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I don't have a CNC, or contemplate buying one soon ,But I just ordered my copy. Maybe I can understand more what CNC is all about.

Congratulations Oliver, for going that extra step to help others understand CNC woodworking and I sincerely I hope it is a big success and well accepted by the CNC community,and other woodworkers. Good Show Ole Chap.
Herb

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Thanks for the kind comments, all. This book isn't about making money, and I'll be surprised if I ever make enough to pay a portion of my CNC investment so far. It was written because when I got started with CNC, the manual that came with my CNC was specific to the machine and assumed I knew what I was doing. Too many CNC instructions are either machinist-centric or written in the language of a technical manual, making them hard to understand when you don't even know the CNC vocabulary. My goal is to help the newbie get some basic information under their belt to shorten their learning curve. If I can help one person, I'll be satisfied.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Congratulations are definitely in order. But sorry I won't be buying a copy, CNC is just not part of my fun space.

Reactions: papasombre

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Way to go, Oliver! Anyone who's seen your work, will appreciate your knowledge of the subject.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
I should have my copy by Thursday, says Amazon (sometimes they lie). Looking forward to it.
Artie,

This should push you over the top in making your decision to forge ahead into the abyss of CNC.

·
Registered
18,988 Posts
I'm going to order a copy just for understanding CNC a little better. I get the concept, and I particularly like your design and execution, but there's a lot of confusing vocabulary, particularly machine ot machine. I've given some thought to CNC, but doubt I'll get one. But I like knowing about it so I'll order it.

How about putting up a link to Amazon so we can order a copy. Is it also an e book?

·
Official Greeter
8,150 Posts
Congratulations Prof. Ollie.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I'm going to order a copy just for understanding CNC a little better. I get the concept, and I particularly like your design and execution, but there's a lot of confusing vocabulary, particularly machine ot machine. I've given some thought to CNC, but doubt I'll get one. But I like knowing about it so I'll order it.

How about putting up a link to Amazon so we can order a copy. Is it also an e book?
There's a link in the original post. I don't have an e-book version because there are too many photos that need to appear in the correct spot next to explanatory text, and I don't know how well it would translate.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Ollie, did you have to self publish??

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Ollie, did you have to self publish??
Yes, self published, but that is really an easy process on Amazon, and requires no investment other than writing time. In my case I also did the book design and layout, so it was just a matter of providing a press-ready PDF.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
@ Gaffboat

So is this printed out and sent to me or do I have to go back and download it? I thought it was a printed book when I ordered it.

Herb

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Congratulations on finishing the book and getting it on Amazon.

I'm sure it will be a big help to new users and those that are contemplating taking the plunge into CNC machining.

Reactions: Gaffboat
1 - 20 of 26 Posts